EXE files... view on Mac

Started by frailer, December 17, 2014, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

So, clarifying... I still need to download as per that 1st link (?500MB), or not.
Downloading Quartz. I'll pick up in AM, as leaving now...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 17, 2014, 11:08:35 PMSo, clarifying... I still need to download as per that 1st link (?500MB), or not.
Downloading Quartz. I'll pick up in AM, as leaving now...

Yes you will need both. I had to run the Wine installer about 5 times before it ran without errors. I don't know why I got the errors in the first place and also don't know how it fixed itself. YMMV. :)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

That's a whopping download, but I may do it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 18, 2014, 01:40:53 AMThat's a whopping download, but I may do it.

Or take it to work and view it on your Windows server. Have I mentioned this before? :sarcasm:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 11:41:18 AM
Quote from: frailer on December 18, 2014, 01:40:53 AMThat's a whopping download, but I may do it.

Or take it to work and view it on your Windows server. Have I mentioned this before? :sarcasm:
Yeah but ideally want it openable on the iMac here. I don't like using our server for tooling with stuff. Just me and comfort levels.
Gates does some laudable stuff these days, no doubt spurred on by Melinda withholding conjugal rights until he coughs up on certain things, but we'll never forgive him for making a big slab of IT world Windows, right? Or am I wrong?

... funny story here, but quite good, really. There's a company over your way does 'The Great Courses'. Really good stuff... maths, physics, history all sorts, but good quality. Gates was on his pedal-machine watching one which gave a big overview of the eons, how they reckon the Earth formed, bigger context, right up to now. It was done by a professor here in Sydney at Macquarie University, (where my son did his degree), and Gates was bowled over.
So this professor gets a call one day soon after that; caller has a funny/high/squeaky voice.. "Hi, it's Bill Gates here..."  :rotf:

He ends up flying the guy over, they go out for a meal.... Gates buys a licence to put it throughout US schools. Nice story.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 18, 2014, 03:04:34 PMYeah but ideally want it openable on the iMac here.

Should work fine if you can get the above software to install. If it fails at first keep trying.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not understanding the problem with Wine. I have never had any problems with it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 18, 2014, 03:57:08 PMMaybe it's just me, but I'm not understanding the problem with Wine. I have never had any problems with it.

My only problem was the install failed with a script error the first 4 times I tried it. But persistence pays off. Number 5 installed just fine.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 04:04:21 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 18, 2014, 03:57:08 PMMaybe it's just me, but I'm not understanding the problem with Wine. I have never had any problems with it.

My only problem was the install failed with a script error the first 4 times I tried it. But persistence pays off. Number 5 installed just fine.

I've never had that happen. I've installed it several times. I just did it at home as a matter of fact about 2 weeks ago and no problemo. Kids wanted Five Nights at Freddies 1 and 2... who am I to deny them.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 18, 2014, 04:07:13 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 04:04:21 PM

I've never had that happen. I've installed it several times. I just did it at home as a matter of fact about 2 weeks ago and no problemo. Kids wanted Five Nights at Freddies 1 and 2... who am I to deny them.

The mask probably scared it into working right the first time for you.

Could also be because I was trying to install into Yosemite. Although I did try it on OS X 10.6.8 when it failed on Yosemite and I got the same script failure there. I didn't try again on the OS X 10.6.8 Mac after that one attempt.

frailer

Getting crashes on Wine opening of file.

... she be a big 'un, that Wine.

Have supposedly installed XQuartz, but no see in apps folder. ... OK, it skips 'Destination' on instal steps; not a normal app, right?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 18, 2014, 05:37:28 PMGetting crashes on Wine opening of file.

I see you are running OS X 10.6.8. Make sure your version of Java is completely updated as far as it can go through Apple Software update. The error you are seeing is related to Java.

frailer

Good thinking, 99.

...  hhmmm might be this. Maybe gotta pay now?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 18, 2014, 05:37:28 PMGetting crashes on Wine opening of file.

Have supposedly installed XQuartz, but no see in apps folder. ... OK, it skips 'Destination' on instal steps; not a normal app, right?

I am getting the same error on 10.6.8 and I know my version of Java is as far as it can go which means it is the latest version of Java 6. My Yosemite iMac is running version 8 of Java and Wine runs OK on it. I can only conclude that wine might not work in OS X 10.6.8 because you can't upgrade Java past version 6 on it.

Joe

I've tried everything I can on OS X 10.6.8 and I can't make it work. This version of Wine is 1.7. It might be possible that an older version of Wine might work on it if you can find one.