Rampage v13 to XMF or Prinergy?

Started by jay12345, December 17, 2014, 02:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 08:27:27 AMOK.. so i just got off the phone with Kodak and this is the story. This past year they did away with the prinergy evo/connect and now it is just connect with or without rba. the difference between evo and connect was the oracal databasing but now everyone gets that and the only difference being the rba. as for the service and support the quote he has given me includes all upgrades of prinergy/insight/preps. including versions. yes i know it is hard to believe but i do have this in writing. the only difference between the plus and advanced service and support is the hardware coverage for the computers. he said they dont typically quote the advanced anymore because you can get the same exact coverage on the hardware through dell for half the price. they will only be taking a support contract with dell in our name and placing the call for us when there is a problem. does this sound legit? i hope so.

I guess that means we are going to have to have a discussion about the price of our support contract with Kodak. Thanks for the info.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jay12345

yeah really. sounds like they changed there model and never let you know. why would they..
Rampage v13 - Rampage Remote 3.1 - Alwan ColohubX Eco 5.0.1 - Dynastrip 7.5 - Adobe CC - HP Indigo 5500 - HP Smartstream

Joe

Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 12:34:34 PMyeah really. sounds like they changed there model and never let you know. why would they..

It could be the old "offer the new customer a great deal to set the hook and we'll put the screws to him in year two" like they do with plate deals.

Actually I'll bet that is it. I know they will never drop our support down to $7500 and include major updates to existing applications. Once they've got you...they've got you for good.

jay12345

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 08:29:52 AMoh and how do i get an avatar? is that only for the ELITE? :mrt:

and then? my only option is no avatar and i cant deselect it.

Click here.
Rampage v13 - Rampage Remote 3.1 - Alwan ColohubX Eco 5.0.1 - Dynastrip 7.5 - Adobe CC - HP Indigo 5500 - HP Smartstream

Joe

Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 12:34:34 PMyeah really. sounds like they changed there model and never let you know. why would they..

Also, is that price with or without RBA?

jay12345

Joe

Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 08:29:52 AMoh and how do i get an avatar? is that only for the ELITE? :mrt:
Click here.
and then? my only option is no avatar and i cant deselect it.

Hmmmm...must be based on some kind of post count before it allows you to create one. I have more options than that. I will check into it. This is new software that I haven't been using for very long so I'm still learning the ins and outs.

jay12345

yeah likely so. i kinda figured that out when i finally did not have to enter the letters off the annoying image and type indesign on my 11th post... :)

Joe

Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 01:16:39 PMyeah likely so. i kinda figured that out when i finally did not have to enter the letters off the annoying image and type indesign on my 11th post... :)

OK, you should now see the options to let you set an avatar. If not, logout and back in.

BTW...welcome to the forum.

jay12345

Joe

Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 02:03:20 PMPERFECTO......

Nice avatar.

Back to the subject though...

Can you tell me which if any of these options you are getting:

- Refine 1 Additional Engine
- PDF Batch Trapping
- Hi-Res Output to File
- 2-Client 5 Pack
- Advance Preflighting
- PDF Compare
- Web Growth Compensation
- Archiver
- Preps Floating License

- InSite Upgrade - Add 5 users

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 01:03:59 PMIt could be the old "offer the new customer a great deal to set the hook and we'll put the screws to him in year two" like they do with plate deals.

A certain company here, associated with the Bayer Group, were quite good at that, too.  :-X

Yeah, difficult choice. Prinergy has the mileage and 'robustness', by the sounds. Here, were were on the old Fujifilm PostScript® RIP, Celebra, so transitioned to  XMF when  APPE came along. Our needs are simpler than a place like Joe's, and we like it overall. The best aspect is the fully integrated imposition, which seems to get better each time. But we do a lot of one-off/bespoke stuff, along with repeat, and it's great for that.
Not so great for multi-web work, by the sounds.
And yeah, selling by bagging the oppositions product, or company, never a good sales look.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jay12345

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2014, 02:19:48 PM
Quote from: jay12345 on December 18, 2014, 02:03:20 PMPERFECTO......

Nice avatar.

Back to the subject though...

Can you tell me which if any of these options you are getting:

- Refine 1 Additional Engine
- PDF Batch Trapping
- Hi-Res Output to File
- 2-Client 5 Pack
- Advance Preflighting
- PDF Compare
- Web Growth Compensation
- Archiver
- Preps Floating License

- InSite Upgrade - Add 5 users

Entry Software
Output Pack for 4up
PDF Batch Trapping
Advanced Preflight
PDF Production Tools - Single Instance
Preps floating license
Preps online training - 2 days 1 seat
Kodak Performance Plus Workflow Server... lol dell computer
Refine/Output online training 3 days 1 seat
Kodak ColorFlow Software Training online 4 hours 1 seat
Setup and Startup - 5 days
Kodak Insight - 5 concurrent user 2 render
another fancy dell computer
Kodak Insight - onsite training 2 days
Configure DMZ.... $2,000 LMAO

Joe

Thanks for that info. Looks like we do have quite a few more features but not enough to justify $23,000 compared to $7,500.

jay12345

yeah it looks like the features can really add up. i dont really have a need for the rba just yet and that adds quite a bit by itself. he did mention the archive ad on but made it sound like all it added was your notes to the archive. the software still packages and archives the entire job just without the correspondence data i guess.

does it feel like preps is integrated into this software like xmf's is. or somewhat close to it? or does it launch another application. it was kinda tough to tell in the webex and i have never used the earlier versions of prinergy so im not sure how the new system compares.