trash indesign cc 2015 preferences??

Started by wonderings, August 27, 2015, 08:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

Having some weird glitches with indesign that are not repeatable on another mac here running same version. I was going to delete Indesigns preferences, have done this in the past with good results. Normally I would hold ctrl, option, command, shift when starting up indesign and I was prompted about this. Now nothing works. I can find where the files are in my Library (OS 10.10.5) but I am not sure what files I should be deleting there.

So the question is, what am I deleting?

Joe

QuoteDelete InDesign preferences with shortcuts

You can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt
Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command

Holding down Shift+Control+Option+Command and starting the app works for me.

InDesign Help / InDesign preferences and support file locations
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Thanks, I did find the answer on another forum. Does not work for me in CC2015 for some reason. Worked before 2015. Are you running Indesign CC 2015 11.0.1.122?

Joe

Joe

Not sure if it makes a difference but on the page I linked it says:

QuoteYou can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

But I held them down and then launched the application. As soon as I launched it like that I got the dialog asking if I really wanted to delete the InDesign preferences.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on August 27, 2015, 09:36:06 AMNot sure if it makes a difference but on the page I linked it says:

QuoteYou can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

But I held them down and then launched the application. As soon as I launched it like that I got the dialog asking if I really wanted to delete the InDesign preferences.

That is how I have done it in the past, hold the keys down then click indesign in my dock. I have tried the way it is posted and pushed it right after starting indesign up, neither work for me. Not a huge deal as I can manually delete and everything else is now working as it should.

Tracy

My Indesign is crashing occasionally and I'm losing my preferences
should I delete the preferences?

Joe

Worth a try if you don't mind losing any settings you changed originally.

Tracy

I will trash them the next time it happens, thanks

I don't know why I stay with CS6, this may cause me to use CC 
I hate change :laugh:

Fontaholic

Quote from: Tracy on February 10, 2016, 12:07:31 PMI hate change :laugh:

Almost invariably, change sucks.

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on February 10, 2016, 12:07:31 PMI will trash them the next time it happens, thanks

I don't know why I stay with CS6, this may cause me to use CC
I hate change :laugh:

I think the only downside to Indesign CC is the fact that you are now renting. Once you stop paying, you have ZERO software, not even last years version. I have been using Adobe CC now for 3 years, if I were to stop I would not get to keep CC 2014, I would be left with nothing.

It is really dumb and greedy on Adobes part, why not let us keep the old version, they are producing new versions so whats the big deal? Other then that though Indesign has been getting better. It is now a 64 bit app so can handle large files much much better. Now a whole lot of updates to the software, but it is pretty well rounded and featured, not even sure what I would add to it at this point.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on February 12, 2016, 09:23:21 AMI think the only downside to Indesign CC is the fact that you are now renting. Once you stop paying, you have ZERO software, not even last years version. I have been using Adobe CC now for 3 years, if I were to stop I would not get to keep CC 2014, I would be left with nothing.

It is really dumb and greedy on Adobes part, why not let us keep the old version, they are producing new versions so whats the big deal? Other then that though Indesign has been getting better. It is now a 64 bit app so can handle large files much much better. Now a whole lot of updates to the software, but it is pretty well rounded and featured, not even sure what I would add to it at this point.

Yeah when it first came out I swear Adobe was saying if you decide to stop you could keep the old version and you just wouldn't get updates in the future. Evidently either I dreamed that up or Adobe changed mid-stream. Basically if you stop paying you are locked out of your files forever unless you buy a convertor to whatever you change to. (Quark :puke: )

Tracy

I didn't know CC was that much faster, that changes my whole perspective on it.

I think that may be why I hesitate using CC, cuz what if I don't have it one day?
I have CS6 on disk so I feel safe with it.

But if it's that much better of a program, I think I'm in.
Thanks!

Joe

CS 6 won't open the later versions files unless you export an IDML file plus CS 6 is getting up there in age. Probably won't be able to use it much longer if you keep updating the OS. :)

Tracy

ok I'm sold, gonna start using CC
I love this website, prolly would still be using CS6 for years :laugh:

is everyone loving Acro DC too?