Orientation Sizing changes

Started by LorneIAT, June 24, 2016, 03:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LorneIAT

I'm currently using Kodak Preps 7 to print films for screen printing purposes along with an Epson stylus pro 4880.
Using preps allows me to pile up multiple jobs onto a single document and print out 6-10 foot long pieces of film and allows me to see all the colour separated files on one document. the problem is that rotate one of those files to fit more on one of my rolls of film, the dimensions change. not by much, just a mm or 2... but enough to mess us the whole print.

For example if I have 2 files with identical dimensions side by side in preps and I rotate one of them 90 degrees the printed results will normally have the one that is rotated wider.

For screen printing we need to have each of the files that makeup the artwork line up PERFECTLY one on top of the other. Does anybody know if there's anyway to fix this? is it a setting in my printer that I have to change?

Joe

What kind of device are you outputting film on?

I know on our old imagesetter we could not do that either or the film would not register. All of the separations had to be output in the same place on the imagesetter. Seems the reason was because of the drum.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

LorneIAT

I'm using either photoshop or illustrator to seperate the colours, I export the different colours as high print quality pdfs, imposed in Preps 7 then I print to pdf from there and then print straight from adobe preps on our stylus 4880... I'm wondering if I would be able to get a betting quality if I printed from my print server with illustrator or photoshop instead...

Joe

I don't believe that will help. I think it is a hardware issue (printer) and not software. But it is easy enough to test just to be sure.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Looking at the Epson it seems to be a flat platen. I don't think you have to take skew of a drum into account.

Then again my 9800 has issues with registration at times but that's probably because of the farmer engineered broken spindle I've been dealing with for the past 6 years.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

There's a free RIP for screen printing called Ghostrip. I haven't used it, but many others have. You might look that up. Here's a thread from a screen printing forum that tells you how to set it up.

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,15218.msg146205.html#msg146205
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

LorneIAT

I'm wondering if the platen gap would affect this somehow... only one way to really test this theory out...