Average life of a Mac

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 29, 2016, 07:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Using the SSD as an external will limit it's bandwith to whatever the external connection. It might end up slower than the drive in it now.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 08, 2016, 08:13:15 AMUsing the SSD as an external will limit it's bandwith to whatever the external connection. It might end up slower than the drive in it now.

Agreed. In your case with a 2008 model that would be USB 2.0. or Firewire 400 I think.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Joe on February 08, 2016, 11:16:46 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on February 08, 2016, 08:13:15 AMUsing the SSD as an external will limit it's bandwith to whatever the external connection. It might end up slower than the drive in it now.

Agreed. In your case with a 2008 model that would be USB 2.0. or Firewire 400 I think.
USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 / 800 - so, not fast enough ? I'm already using a 1Tb My Passport external SSD rated at 'up to 480 Mb/sec' for music + photos and that was cheap enough that I could get another to boot from.  [Disclaimer - I'm really not an expert on this kind of thing]
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

The internal busses on the MB are usually much faster than any external connection. I have a eSATA connection on my laptop and a dock and while it's fast, the SSD in the laptop trounces it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: StudioMonkey on February 08, 2016, 12:37:44 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 08, 2016, 11:16:46 AM

USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 / 800 - so, not fast enough ? I'm already using a 1Tb My Passport external SSD rated at 'up to 480 Mb/sec' for music + photos and that was cheap enough that I could get another to boot from.  [Disclaimer - I'm really not an expert on this kind of thing]

480 Mb/sec is USB 2.0 speed so it will be like running the OS from a USB 2.0 drive which is much slower than your current internal had. As FB said the internal bus is faster. The drive can't go any faster than it slowest component. And that would be the USB 2.0 port.

David

You could try the Firewire 800 (if you have the cable), that what I use for my time Machine backups. It probably still won't be as fast as the internal.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: david on February 01, 2016, 03:13:32 PMHeidelberg gave me a quote that would choke a horse... (upgraded software to run on new os, plus monthly "subscription"= :death:)
DUDE! Heidi's quote would choke a fcuking blue whale!!!
Inconceivable! Komori will upgrade for about $500.
Heidi told us "we're in luck, since it's an upgrade and not a new purchase, it's ONLY $15,723"
I asked the boss, how much to trade-in that press for another Komori!
There's just no way in hell I would even ask for that regardless of if the bosses are willing to pay... I'm NOT!
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: born2print on February 15, 2016, 11:31:59 AM
Quote from: david on February 01, 2016, 03:13:32 PMHeidelberg gave me a quote that would choke a horse... (upgraded software to run on new os, plus monthly "subscription"= :death:)
DUDE! Heidi's quote would choke a fcuking blue whale!!!
Inconceivable! Komori will upgrade for about $500.
Heidi told us "we're in luck, since it's an upgrade and not a new purchase, it's ONLY $15,723"
I asked the boss, how much to trade-in that press for another Komori!
There's just no way in hell I would even ask for that regardless of if the bosses are willing to pay... I'm NOT!

Kodak won't even answer the phone for $15,723. :rotf:

Wait...that is not funny! :strangle:

David

oh, they may answer the phone...  but they won't take a message or re-direct your call.   :P

:rotf:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

No, the machine answers the call. Then you get into computer voice hell.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.