I finally found what's wrong with our setup.. after a year

Started by baker7, August 19, 2016, 03:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baker7

Hi guys, after a huge screaming match, cussing and fighting with my boss... I'm still here cuz I have no where else to go.  Anyways, I figured out our Mutoh profile is the culprit.  Our Mutoh curve is all wacked out.  We have the color profile of our competitor, a big sublimation printing company around here, and their's is beautiful.  And I know it's right cuz I happened to meet this dude at some bar in my neighborhood and he kept insisting he knows me.  Turned out it was a dude my close friend was friends with and I met him 10 years ago while partying and now he's the owner of that company and he has 15 years printing experience from Germany and US.  What are the odds?

Anyway, my question is can we color match the CTP to the Mutoh color profile?  From what some of you guys said, you have to match the Mutoh to the CTP.. but I think if we match it the other way around we'll have this problem solved.  My boss is asking me to get that guy's CTP profile, but would that even work?  I don't even think he'll give it to me cuz we're one of his competitors.

help...

Oh yeah.. one more thing.  Every file I print with this profile come out exactly like the sample from Mutoh, while with our profile I have to spend 30 minutes adjusting all the colors in Photoshop.

Tracy

At least you got it figured out, It's up to the boss to get someone that can get the profile to match?
Not sure but it sounds like you got one to work?

baker7

Hi Tracy, yeah.. well it can print fine on Mutoh using that guy's color profile but the problem is our plate machine is not setup for that profile.. so we can't make any plates that duplicates that.  We can only make plates that uses our wack job mutoh profile.  There lies the problem.  If we can only get our plate machine set up right...

Joe

Your plate machine should just me making plates to match what is in the input files plus any press curve that you might need. You don't need to match a CTP system to anything.

Most places assume their press is correct, ie...rollers and blankets are good and pressmen know what they are doing. (HaHa...I know) Then they calibrate a proofer to match the press output. Trying to calibrate the press to the proofer is going about things backwards. Is it even theoretically possible to get your press to match the Mutoh. Are they both using the same inks and paper. And even if they are they are still two completely different technologies. But hey if you can make your press match the Mutoh more power to you. And while you are at it could you solve that whole Middle East thing too.

:lmao:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

baker7

So the only solution is to break into that dude's business and borrow their press curves.  Got it.  Thanks!

Joe

Farabomb

Quote from: baker7 on August 19, 2016, 05:20:44 PMSo the only solution is to break into that dude's business and borrow their press curves.  Got it.  Thanks!

Or you can buy him a few drinks and ask him nicely. It's worked for me in the past, but with females and the endgame was totally different...

Maybe I should have tried ninja mode.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: baker7 on August 19, 2016, 05:20:44 PMSo the only solution is to break into that dude's business and borrow their press curves.  Got it.  Thanks!

Borrowing the press curves would not do you any good unless it is the exact same press and even then it would be iffy.

baker7

Quote from: Joe on August 22, 2016, 07:36:47 AM

Borrowing the press curves would not do you any good unless it is the exact same press and even then it would be iffy.

That's what I was thinking.. but would it come close?  Anything is better than the shit we got going on now.  I'm so sick and tired of adjusting colors for every freaking job.. and this a-hole of a boss blames me for everything now, The fact that nothing matches and everything if f'ed up at this place has completely escaped his mind.  What a f'ing dip shit this guy is. 

Farabomb

I still think whomever came and "profiled" your gear needs to come back and do the job right.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: baker7 on August 22, 2016, 09:47:21 AM
Quote from: Joe on August 22, 2016, 07:36:47 AM

That's what I was thinking.. but would it come close?  Anything is better than the shit we got going on now.  I'm so sick and tired of adjusting colors for every freaking job.. and this a-hole of a boss blames me for everything now, The fact that nothing matches and everything if f'ed up at this place has completely escaped his mind.  What a f'ing dip shit this guy is.

Probably not.

baker7

Quote from: Farabomb on August 22, 2016, 09:55:30 AMI still think whomever came and "profiled" your gear needs to come back and do the job right.

I actually met the guy who did it and he explained that for sublimation printing the curves has to be done that way for the ink to go on right or something to that effect.  Like it has to drop a little lower at each color point or something.  I don't know.  Apparently he sets the curves like that for every sublimation printing place they sell ink to and most print places in fashion district in LA buy ink from them.  I need to talk to that guy, owner of the other print place.

Farabomb

I highly doubt every dyesub place has to color correct every single job that comes through. If every other place isn't having an issue the it's something else in the process. Seems the owner doesn't know and likes to blame you. May want to see if any of those other places are hiring.  ;D

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

baker7

I just talked to the owner of the other place and he says sublimation printing is completely different from regular printing and that there's really no company and no one who can set it right.  He says you need to use at least 50 plates and 50,000 sheets to manually adjust the curves to get it to match and even then need experienced prepress and press man to coordinate and fine tune it.  He was in newspaper printing for 15 years so he has the know how and can't help us because it would be giving away a trade secret. 

In other words we're fucked.  You're right.. I need to get outta here.  Maybe go work for him.