mail...He-e-e-elp!

Started by frailer, October 16, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

POP

....see my screenshot addition previous post.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 05:55:30 PMI can "Move to Trash (on my Mac). A workaround , I guess, to keep the bloat down. But still a workaround. My understanding of how POP/ IMAP 'n stuff works is a bit limited.

Joe, that tip from Apple Forums... is it in Prefs?... (screenshot)

Now sure but after reading that again and checking Apple Mail on my Mac I can't find anything that matches their instructions.

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 04:17:31 PMHmmm ..tried both. No go. It's secondary to my Black/metallic brawl in XMF right now, but I'll revisit later.

Did a Quit/relaunch as well.. I've replaced that file, as it didn't seem to rebuild it. Really hoped applejack might have worked..   

Quit Apple Mail and try this again only this time after you move the "Deleted Messages.mbox" or whatever it is named on your system to the desktop, create a new folder where your old trashed "Deleted Messages.mbox" was at and name it the same as the old one. Start Apple Mail and try moving something to the trash.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Nyet.    :sad:

It's a Friday Special. I need a Saturday Night Special to fix it. But, like Joan Baez, I shall overcome.
Meanwhile, I'm multiple selecting and sending to Mac Trash. Don't know whether that will affect the functionality of Mail, but I guess I'll find out.

Yep,  and I did get rid of the Deleted Messages.mbox, and re-created a same-named file in its place. Nope...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Still giving you ?

I think someone else asked earlier but is it doing it for every message you try to delete?

frailer

Yes, on every attempted Message delete...

Joe

Question: Is the trash mailbox empty? Try to empty it by right clicking (or CONTROL+CLICKING) on it and select "Erase Deleted Items". Try this even if it is empty. Then try deleting something.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 16, 2014, 07:58:57 PMQuestion: Is the trash mailbox empty? Try to empty it by right clicking (or CONTROL+CLICKING) on it and select "Erase Deleted Items". Try this even if it is empty. Then try deleting something.
Just to clarify, you mean Users/Lib/Mail/Mailboxes/Deleted Messages.mbox?

Within Mail, there is certainly nothing in Mailboxes/Trash/[me@myemaildotyada]

But, above it, in the same level of folders, the Trashed emails are listed under 'On My Mac'. FWIW.

... off home on a Friday arvo here; but shall look in later this evening.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 08:28:58 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 16, 2014, 07:58:57 PMQuestion: Is the trash mailbox empty? Try to empty it by right clicking (or CONTROL+CLICKING) on it and select "Erase Deleted Items". Try this even if it is empty. Then try deleting something.
Just to clarify, you mean Users/Lib/Mail/Mailboxes/Deleted Messages.mbox?

Within Mail, there is certainly nothing in Mailboxes/Trash/[me@myemaildotyada]

But, above it, in the same level of folders, the Trashed emails are listed under 'On My Mac'. FWIW.

... off home on a Friday arvo here; but shall look in later this evening.

That sounds weird. Got a screen shot?

frailer

haha... I left the coffee machine on in our pp room. Gottta slip past in the morning and switch it off. I'll do it then,,,

frailer

Shots x 2

... outa here, though.  ---> Monday.

Joe

So if I am understanding this correctly...you can put trash into the "On My Mac" trashcan But not into the "Trash" trashcan directly above it? Or do you just get the error when you select an email and hit the delete button on the toolbar? Because if it is the latter that will not move the mail to the main Trash can. It moves it to the trash can of that email address which would be the trash can below your "On My Mac" trashcan (the one that ends in .com.au) and that is not the one we were trying to replace earlier. You can actually delete that mailbox (right click and "Delete Mailbox") and create a new one using the same name as that email address though I'm not 100% sure of the ramifications of doing that. First I would try right click that mailbox and then clicking the Tools" menu and selecting "Rebuild". If that fails I would then try deleting it and re-creating it (by right clicking the "Trash" mailbox and selecting "New Mailbox").

Joe

Another thought...if you get to the point of deleting the trashcan named the same as that email address, before re-creating it, shut down Apple Mail and restart it and see if it automatically re-creates that trashcan. If it doesn't then try re-creating it again manually.

frailer

Yes, in answer to above... the latter. I.e., bog standard "Delete" (would normally send them to ...com.au mailbox /folder), trips the Error message.
Good thoughts. I shall look again sometime Monday. I already know Monday will be fraught. We have an ill prep'd number from a return customer. She 'sacked' us because of minor misdemeaanours, the main one being she changed the specs of a job, but buried it at the bottom of an email to our manager, we think mainly to cover her arse internally, as she'd got it wrong in the first place.
Solution, bury a critical change in the sub-text of other crap, without flagging it. Then :tantrum2:   when the job's 'wrong'. But I digress... she's ba-a-ack. No doubt pissed of the next print house after us.

frailer

Right click on the 'email' Trash folder in the sub-column --> Delete Mailbox.  Re-instated, now working normally.   :cool: