Watch yer back, Adobe!

Started by Slappy, October 02, 2014, 03:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Made in Taiwan on April 18, 2015, 10:19:27 AMThe download of the CS2 version is actually only legal for those who have purchased a CS2 licence before. It became a free download because Adobe shut down the activation server for that software. Since it's an old version, Adobe does not to care too much about illegal use, but in the end they could still sue you if you cannot provide that licence upon request. Actually most of the people I know won't even think about installing a CS2 since there are plenty of cracked CS6 out there (I've heard it said that people already found a way to crack the CC).

Affinity seems to write software for Mac only, which is pity, because I'm on Windows machines both at home and at work. Talking about the Acrobat replacement, I'm pretty sure Enfocus has something in preparation already since there is obviously a demand for a "standalone Pitstop".

Enfocus already has had NEO which I think now falls under the Esko umbrella but it was well above most peoples price point for a PDF editor since it was much cheaper to go with Acrobat/Pitstop Pro. Unfortunately we';; probably never find a Pitstop stand alone because it would only be much value to prepress people and the market would be too small for what it would cost to develop such an application. That is the exact problem that NEO had and nothing has changed.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Made in Taiwan

Never say never, Joe. The pricing is indeed one of the main criteria or even THE main criteria for purchase, but there are other applications out there which are well affordable as a standalone version. An example is the Callas PDF toolbox, which is currently maybe not as advanced as Pitstop, but can be purchased for the same price either as Plugin or as standalone.

If Enfocus had NEO already, but people didn't buy it due to its high price, then there is at least some existing source code, that maybe could be modified to launch an affordable standalone Pitstop...
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Designia(o_O)

But you don't need that license to download the free version. The free v. license # is the same for everybody.
On a PC you just have to make sure that EVERYTHING is in the same folder.

Made in Taiwan

There's no FREE version of the CS2 - see here: 
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/01/07/adobe-giving-away-free-copies-of-cs2-software-package-including-photoshop

But honestly spoken, with publishing the licence number, Adobe pretty much gave away the option to check who is legal and who might be not. 
You can use it freely until one day the cops ring your doorbell and ask for the original licence, which is probably never going to happen.

Designia(o_O)

Eh, if I didn'thave to pay for it, I'll call it free. I do have a viable license for CS4 mac, I'm using CS2 on a PC.

Possum

They figure it's so old nobody will want it. They thought wrong.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Syphon

Talking about PDF editor, has anyone use PDFpen Pro?
Since I have no plans of upgrading my old copy of Acrobat, I've been looking for an alternative.
Lastest version looks like it could be the replacement.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Unless it can run Pitstop it wouldn't do me any good.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Made in Taiwan

If I check out their website, the main statements there are "made for MS Office, Cloud and Web". For office people it might be a good choice, but I don't think it's a good option for a commercial printer. Unless you're only editing text or resize images.

Syphon

OOPS!
I meant for use on my personal Mac at home for which I have no need for PitStop at home.
Boss won't let me work at home and besides he doesn't pay me enough to take work home.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Farabomb

I wish my boss won't let me work from home.

We did have a designer in here yesterday that wants to intern in a production environment. Maybe I'll finally get some backup.

Poor, poor naive little girl.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.