News:

Main Menu

FTP download speed

Started by frailer, December 19, 2011, 04:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

That makes no sense with the DSL. If it was cable I can understand seeing as that's shared but DSL shouldn't be. At least that's what I understood but I do see slowdowns with mine. Haven't figured out if it was just netflix or the service.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 26, 2012, 09:17:46 AMThat makes no sense with the DSL. If it was cable I can understand seeing as that's shared but DSL shouldn't be. At least that's what I understood but I do see slowdowns with mine. Haven't figured out if it was just netflix or the service.

Yeah I know the theory about number of users supposedly not affecting DSL...but in reality it does. The slowdown was like clockwork. As soon as the kids were released from school in the town you would see an instant slowdown. Bad enough to where sometimes you could not even display a web site in the browser. Then about 9 pm it would all come back. The provider could never explain nor fix it which is why we moved to the slower and much more expensive dedicated dual T1. Haven't had that problem since we switched.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Tortoise and the Hare. Fast and fickle vs slow and steady.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mattbeals

Peak periods are peak periods. Your DSL connection may be rated at 8192Mb/sec and connect at that speed. But that speed is generally the connection speed to the ISP and not to any point on the internet, Eventually all the DSL circuits get aggregated. Cable just happens to do the aggregation closer to the neighborhood.

Try running a traceroute (Mac) or tracert (windows) from your computer to google.com and www.b4print.com. all those "hops" have speed and capacity limits that affect your speeds.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Thanks for that explanation Matt. Makes sense to me.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.