Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

the rf remote on my original is probably the best rf remote I've ever owned, as far as range and not caring what direction it is pointed.

EDIT:  IR REMOTE doh all these damn acronyms  :old:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 23, 2012, 04:02:37 PMThe Roku ships, batteries included. Mine must be dead already, because it doesn't act like a UHF/RF remote - it acts like an IR. I swear I read that you could upgrade to the RF remote.

BTW, here's a page from the manual. RTFM yourself  :lmao:

That's for the wireless network signal. Not the remote.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

shhhh! I got 'im on the ropes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Farabomb

That AV rack sounds like an enclosure to me.  :tongue:

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on February 23, 2012, 06:19:36 PMThat AV rack sounds like an enclosure to me.  :tongue:
It's a rack. It's a glass shelf above a wooden shelf. Open air all around.

In other news, set up PlayOn last night. Found out two things:

PlayOn does not "play on" on any Roku 2 device. BUT if you buy a lifetime premium license ($79.95) you get a free Roku LT box that WILL play PlayOn. So I went ahead and bought it, since I anticipate using it a lot. Reading the forums, ESPN3 streams great to the LT, and for college football alone, it's totally worth it (I spent more than that last year on tickets and online subscriptions to follow/stream my team). There's also a Fox soccer channel that I know my in-laws will watch when they come over. Plus, I will now have Roku in the bedroom and living room with this deal.

Going to set up Plex tonight as a backup, and then it's on to installing Navi-X.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

There are remote apps for the Roku available but the phone might have to be rooted. I found 2 for my phone but there were none for my GF's pone.  :huh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I have the android Roku remote. Used it last night. It's a bit sensitive, but works great. I also set up PlayOn for the android.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 24, 2012, 09:05:37 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on February 23, 2012, 06:19:36 PMThat AV rack sounds like an enclosure to me.  :tongue:

PlayOn does not "play on" on any Roku 2 device. BUT if you buy a lifetime premium license ($79.95) you get a free Roku LT box that WILL play PlayOn. So I went ahead and bought it, since I anticipate using it a lot. Reading the forums, ESPN3 streams great to the LT, and for college football alone, it's totally worth it (I spent more than that last year on tickets and online subscriptions to follow/stream my team). There's also a Fox soccer channel that I know my in-laws will watch when they come over. Plus, I will now have Roku in the bedroom and living room with this deal.

Going to set up Plex tonight as a backup, and then it's on to installing Navi-X.

stop giving me more options, I can't decide how to set stuff up already
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Navi-X on Plex? Don't think it is available for Plex.

So it will play only on the Roku LT but not any Roku2? Why is that?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 24, 2012, 12:20:17 PM

Navi-X on Plex? Don't think it is available for Plex.

So it will play only on the Roku LT but not any Roku2? Why is that?
According to PlayOn's website, there is a line in the Roku 2's firmware that prevents PlayOn from streaming properly. The folks at Roku HATE the folks at PlayOn and won't do anything to help them or cooperate in the development of their private channel, so for now it only works on lower Roku models.

Had trouble figuring out Navi-X for PlayOn and couldn't find any concrete help on the internet.

As for Navi-X on Plex, I thought I saw it was available, but on further reading, development stalled.

I can always run Navi-X off my computer, but as for Roku I might be SOL.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Navi-X works well on XBMC but you can't use XBMC on the Roku like you can Plex. I read the same thing where the development of Navi-X for Plex is pretty much dead.

DigiCorn

I just wrote one of the Navi-X guys to see what's up with PlayOn and Navi-X
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

delooch