Placed PDF color issue

Started by Farabomb, July 18, 2013, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I had a job bite me in the ass last week with a placed PDF. It was a 4c job but of course the designer had spot colors in it. I had to place an indicia so I figured drop the PDF in, typeset it, output PDF and be fine. I've done this before without issue and the RIP converted it without issue. Not this time.

The original file had the spot with a CMYK breakdown that was correct. After placing it in Indy and making a PDF it went from the proper CMYK break to Lab values that were totally off. Only reason it was picked up was there was a placed signature with the correct break and there was a noticeable difference. So I converted it on the back but didn't think to correct the front. Clusterfuck ensues because I missed other elements that were still Lab.

Why did it change from CMYK to Lab when I placed it? I looked quick but I didn't see anything in preferences. I want to fix it so it doesn't happen again. I have no color management on the PDF output and prinergy is set to use the values in the file in case the designer tweaks a spot color.

This could be avoided if the designer provided the file as CMYK initially but...  :deadhorse:

How hard is it use ink manager and provide it correctly? I failed at my job of prepress on this one but since prepress is no longer just prepress I don't have the time to properly go over files. At least this showed the boss the reasons I need time to do things correctly.... and the importance of a platemaker.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

abc

My guess here is that that when you made the PDF out of Indesign and asked it to convert the spots, it used the alternate color in the Indesign libraries which are now lab.

I might be completely off the mark, but that's my guess

If you export a PDF without converting to CMYK and preserve the spots, it would be interesting to know what the alternate color space of the Spots is in it, CMYK or Lab.

If it's Lab then I guess that answers the question.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

That was the first thing I checked in pitstop when the shit hit the fan. The original PDF had the proper CMYK values. When placed in indy it changes the values to Lab but... only on one of the spot colors. There are 2 spots on the original PDF. It leaves one as CMYK but for some reason changed one to Lab.

and of course it's their corporate color and the Lab breakdown doesn't even come close to the CMYK break we have been using in the past.

Yes, CS6.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on July 18, 2013, 10:17:13 AMThat was the first thing I checked in pitstop when the shit hit the fan. The original PDF had the proper CMYK values. When placed in indy it changes the values to Lab but... only on one of the spot colors. There are 2 spots on the original PDF. It leaves one as CMYK but for some reason changed one to Lab.

and of course it's their corporate color and the Lab breakdown doesn't even come close to the CMYK break we have been using in the past.

Yes, CS6.

There is your answer. CS6 uses Pantone + LAB values. Be careful when picking up old jobs with spots. You'll get burned. :sarcasm:

I have found if I leave the spots in the PDF and let Prinergy change them to CMYK when refining it will use the old Pantone CMYK breakdown. I guess that is because Prinergy is not using Pantone + yet.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

That doesn't explain why it used the Lab values for one of the spots and left the other as CMYK.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on July 18, 2013, 10:49:32 AMThat doesn't explain why it used the Lab values for one of the spots and left the other as CMYK.

It could be that the one spot was originally placed & defined as CMYK in CS5 or earlier, which CS6 would honour. If the other spot was added in the CS6 app, it would auto-define it in Lab. Just guessin', but I've seen that scenario in Illy files that were originally created in CS5 with CMYK-defined spots, and then new spots were added in CS6 with Lab values, giving us a "mixed" swatch pallette. :huh:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

That could explain it. This designer has told me flat out she has no idea what she is doing and is the first to have the latest CS version.

Great, another fucking thing I have to watch out for. Thank you Adobe.  :sarcasm:  :banghead:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on July 18, 2013, 12:33:14 PMThis designer has told me flat out she has no idea what she is doing

That's a first. Most of my "designer" customers are professional experts. I like it when they tell me little tips & tricks, like how to do my job.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Grimace

Quote from: gnubler on July 18, 2013, 12:43:40 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on July 18, 2013, 12:33:14 PMThis designer has told me flat out she has no idea what she is doing

That's a first. Most of my "designer" customers are professional experts. I like it when they tell me little tips & tricks, like how to do my job.

Like use JPEGs?

delooch

Quote from: Grimace on July 18, 2013, 01:26:46 PM

Like use JPEGs?

like 1200 dpi jpegs, for image quality  :death:

Grimace

Quote from: delooch on July 18, 2013, 02:12:46 PM

Like use JPEGs?

My scanner goes to 2400dpi. I not going waste all that quality!

DigiCorn

Quote from: delooch on July 18, 2013, 02:12:46 PM

Like use JPEGs?

1200 degrees of suck, that is.

we all know it's a 72 dpi file and they just typed in 1200 thinking it would upsample to a better file.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 18, 2013, 03:47:35 PMwe all know it's a 72 dpi file and they just typed in 1200 thinking it would upsample to a better file.

i always thought they were using the new "PIXELATION FILTER" its the latest rage,,

gnubler

My customers also like to resave their JPG as a PDF and resubmit it. Pretty clever trick!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david