.indb updating chapters

Started by DigiCorn, July 30, 2013, 10:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

why the fuck won't my chapters update when i make changes? even if i rebuild the book as a new file, chapters that have not been modified show as being modified and won't update, so i end up with the little ! error.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

that *feature* (INDB) is a picky bastard. I like it but sometimes, well... not so much. I don't use it a lot.

I know that if you modify the indd OUTSIDE of the indb (like open it from the finder) the indb says it's modified. If you double click on the indd from the indb panel, manipulate and change there, and save your indd, your indb will update.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on July 30, 2013, 03:20:24 PMthat *feature* (INDB) is a picky bastard. I like it but sometimes, well... not so much. I don't use it a lot.

I know that if you modify the indd OUTSIDE of the indb (like open it from the finder) the indb says it's modified. If you double click on the indd from the indb panel, manipulate and change there, and save your indd, your indb will update.
that's just it... it's not.

and if i rebuild the .indb file from scratch, manipulate nothing, and then reopen it, it still tells me certain chapters have been updated, even when they haven't.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 30, 2013, 03:37:52 PM
Quote from: t-pat on July 30, 2013, 03:20:24 PMthat *feature* (INDB) is a picky bastard. I like it but sometimes, well... not so much. I don't use it a lot.

and if i rebuild the .indb file from scratch, manipulate nothing, and then reopen it, it still tells me certain chapters have been updated, even when they haven't.

aren't there some options on the flyout menu to update them? Sorry, I don't use it for chapters, scares the shit out of me.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on July 30, 2013, 04:26:06 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 30, 2013, 03:37:52 PM

aren't there some options on the flyout menu to update them? Sorry, I don't use it for chapters, scares the shit out of me.
nope.

this is how i received the files, and with page numbering being what it is, i'm sort of forced to use it. it would be a real pain to coordinate it any other way, actually.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Update ... doesn't do it?
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

that's for numbering pages. even if i run it, it still doesn't work. it make the final pdf just fine, though, so meh.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I've never even seen an Indy file with chapters set up like this. I don't deal with books often, when I do it's usually shit Word docs.

In other news we got a 225 pixel JPG today for a business card. I'm almost at the point where I want to print this shit as supplied just to lose customers (because it would clearly be our fault that their job looks like shit). The problem is we would lose 88% of our customers.  :hangme:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

225 is not that bad. I see a lot worse regularly.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

It's bad, considering it appears to have been crafted in at least Publisher. Why they saved as JPG is beyond me, when we told them a week ago to save as PDF.

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 30, 2013, 06:29:41 PMthat's for numbering pages. even if i run it, it still doesn't work. it make the final pdf just fine, though, so meh.

maybe I don't understand what you're looking for -- "Update Chapter & Paragraph Numbers"
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

It doesn't update chapter content - only the numbering scheme, so if you add or remove a page, it will renumber appropriately... but for some reason it won't update the content.

It also wants to resave some of the chapters to a new location (if you try to overwrite the existing location, it errors and crashes). The ones it wants to resave are not the ones with changes.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

...and when you double-click on the chapter to open it from within the book, it opens "read only," so you can't make or save any changes.  :wtf:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 01, 2013, 11:48:40 AM...and when you double-click on the chapter to open it from within the book, it opens "read only," so you can't make or save any changes.  :wtf:

that's not right
vdp donkey