epson pro 7880 error

Started by MandL, February 18, 2015, 07:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandL

hi all!! – can you help a brother out?
I received an error code on our Epson Pro 7880 that is 0040 – I know what the code is its "Cleaning unit near end of life"
I have read that I can reset the counter (we used to do this with our 7600 maintenance tanks)
Bottom line is I can get to the super secret service menu by pressing pause, down, right when powering up and view the counters but there is no option to "clear" the counter
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite | RamPage 13 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Basysprint 540 CTP

Ear

I wouldn't just reset this code, or clear the counter. Your Cleaning unit is almost full... continuing to run, once it is full, will cause a huge mess. The cleaning unit is where it spits ink when cleaning the printheads... you would not want this to overflow!

That said...

On my 9900, there are 2 cleaning units, one on the home side and one on the away side. It seems to only use the home side... so, when mine got full, I swapped them and ordered 2 new ones. This was a year ago and the home side is almost full again. Once full, I will replace them with the new ones.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

:goodpost:

That's what I do on the 9800. Swap them when one is complaining.

I also try and have 2 backups after I got jammed up one day on a rush proof just in case.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Yessir! And you only get to swap them once. Right now, I have the full one (that I swapped) and one that is 80% full. 

Soon, there will b 2 new ones in the printer.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

My 9900 is about a year old, The manual isn't showing how to replace cleaning units
When you have a moment, can you attach a photo or explain how to replace the unit?
Thanks!

MandL

Quote from: Ear on February 18, 2015, 02:27:37 PMI wouldn't just reset this code, or clear the counter. Your Cleaning unit is almost full... continuing to run, once it is full, will cause a huge mess. The cleaning unit is where it spits ink when cleaning the printheads... you would not want this to overflow!
Are you talking about the "Maintenance Tank"? This is not a maintenance tank error
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite | RamPage 13 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Basysprint 540 CTP

David

Quote from: MandL on February 18, 2015, 07:46:53 AMhi all!! – can you help a brother out?
I received an error code on our Epson Pro 7880 that is 0040 – I know what the code is its "Cleaning unit near end of life"
I have read that I can reset the counter (we used to do this with our 7600 maintenance tanks)
Bottom line is I can get to the super secret service menu by pressing pause, down, right when powering up and view the counters but there is no option to "clear" the counter
Looks like it is referring to changing the cleaning pump.
I think the counter can only be reset by a service tech with a laptop with the service software installed.
Maybe check out the link below and see if it gives you any clues.
I found this:
http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/epson_mimaki_roland_printer_rep/pro78_fg_1.pdf
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Quote from: MandL on February 20, 2015, 08:46:18 AM
Quote from: Ear on February 18, 2015, 02:27:37 PMI wouldn't just reset this code, or clear the counter. Your Cleaning unit is almost full... continuing to run, once it is full, will cause a huge mess. The cleaning unit is where it spits ink when cleaning the printheads... you would not want this to overflow!
Are you talking about the "Maintenance Tank"? This is not a maintenance tank error
Yes, I was referring to the Maintenance Tank. I wasn't aware of another component of the cleaning that was capable of filling up... thought that was the job of the Maintenance Tank.

mc hristel

Like David said, I believe the counter can only be reset once but there is a secret menu option to rest it yourself without a tech. These are the instructions I found for our 9900 when we got that error a couple of months ago, but I suspect they will be the same for your 7880. I'm not sure if this actually works since we ended up getting our proofer serviced before resorting to resetting the counter ourselves.
- Power off the proofer
- Hold down the Parer source, cut/eject, and down arrow buttons and power the proofer back up
- choose clear counters
- enter twice
- restart the proofer

DigiCorn

Seen this a few times. There is a super secret menu to clear the error, but I'll be damned if I remember from memory. I had it printed out in a book at my old job, but they only way I'll set foot back in there is if I am swinging fists/shooting. I have zero desire to do those things. The above post may be correct; sounds familiar. I assure you, if done properly, the machine will continue running well, so far as you regularly clean the heads, change the maintenance tank, etc.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

MandL

Thanks for all of the feedback - I decided to just call in a service request - I want them to give us a good once-over anyway. We used to run some VERY cheap paper through it that resulted in tons of paper dust when it was cut and I would have to run the nozzle check and cleaning cycle ALOT, so I think it's worth it. Thanks ALL!!