News:

Main Menu

New Work Laptop

Started by Farabomb, April 24, 2015, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

In Apple's defense you are talking about an OS that is 5 versions old. OS X 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6

In Windows world that would equate to: Window 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Me.

So are you still running Windows Me anywhere? :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Valid point and no, I burned every copy of ME I ever had. That was a horrible OS.

In the generational timeline, yes it's old but ME was released in 2000 where SN was released in 2009, when windows 7 was released so it's not all that old.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah I agree about the year released timeline but OS X 10.6 to OS X 10.7 was kind of a milestone release as that is when Apple cutoff support for PPC apps. You really can't blame Apple for cutting of backward compatibility for PPC software in 2009 which was a full 3 years after retiring the PPC cpu and over 3.5 years after the first Intel Mac was released.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Again, I agree.

I also remember them adamantly stating their CPUs were superior to intel chips while they had welded closed PCs running OSX. I also have windows NT running here and if I looked hard enough, I can probably find a box here that has Win3.11WG on it.

Yea, I'm getting old and don't want to change but I know I have to.  :cane:

Now where's that netscape icon, I need to go check alta-vista for something.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Quote from: Farabomb on April 27, 2015, 07:23:17 AMI have PC laptops going back 10 years, my gaming PC is possibly older and it's still current enough for me. My HP laptop, while having the worlds worst keyboard, is still working perfectly fine. The main reason is because I can upgrade it, something Apple is not a fan of.

I have to replace my perfectly fine mac pro because apple has removed the backwards compatibility needed to run important programs. If I upgrade to the newer OS I have to replace my imposition software and possibly my whole RIP. It's bad enough the cost of them are astronomical but you're not really buying it, more like leasing it.

No one is forcing you to upgrade the OS and why would you if your software was not supported by it? Not sure why you need to replace your perfectly fine mac pro, if it was working, what has stopped working or did you upgrade the OS and now stuck with that? You can always wipe and go back to the latest version of OS X that your mac supports.

Farabomb

It's more the fact of encroaching time. If we stuck with things that work we'd still be burning plates with a arclamp. The software will continue to progress and anyone in this field that follows "it's not broke, don't fix it" will end up out of a job.

Adobe seems to do their best to find interesting new ways to screw over the print world. Combined with designers with no clue how print works if I become stagnant I will end up getting a file that I can't fix or some other "advancement" that changes prepress's world. When I came into this quark and .eps were the standard and PDF was witchcraft. Now quark is dead, PDF rules the roost and Adobe had the design world by giggleberries.

I have the chance to get a new device running the newest software. I can demo all the newer software and see what works and doesn't before considering changing things.

It's inevitable that Adobe or someone will change something significant and we will be forced to upgrade. I'd rather be a step ahead if I can be. I'm a one man show so if it's not fixed I still have to deal with the issues the next day.

Doesn't mean I have to be pleased about spending the company's money on something I consider very overpriced and totally lacking in innovation. Not that desktop PC's are using fiber channel interconnects but at one time Apple was worth the premium because it had the latest and greatest in it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job