multiple marks moving together

Started by Nivin, July 01, 2015, 12:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nivin

We're hoping to create this as a grouped mark (if there is such a thing).
Slur Targets on left and right side of color bar. The group will resize to whatever paper size we are using.

We've got the marks to work - as 3 separate marks. I would like them to move together, such as by default we put them at the top of the sheet, but often they need to be in the center of the sheet.

I talked to XMF and they said they didn't have a grouping action. But I thought maybe one of the geniuses on this forum would know how to do this!

Ear

Have you looked into the "Stretch" feature in XMF? It takes into account paper stretch from unit to unit and will expand or condense everything on the plate, per color, based on your parameters.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Nivin

I don't think this is what I'm looking for. 

The marks work great. It's just that they need to be at the tail for some jobs, at the center for some jobs, and at the gripper for some jobs.

We're just wanting them to move together.

Thank you.

Ear

Gotcha. Have you tried saving them as a Dynamic Marks Preset?

For instance, I have 4 very different presses. I have established and saved Preset Dynamic Marks and Preset Sluglines for each different press, as well as a Perfect Bound version of my Marks, which utilizes Collation marks. It really works well.

Let me know if this would help and if you need further explanation on how to establish a Dynamic Marks Preset.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Nivin

I don't see any Slur Targets in the Dynamic Marks. Am I just missing them?

Ear

You're correct, I do not see them either. All sorts of other marks. I'm guessing it classifies Slur Targets with the Color Bars and Sheet marks, instead of Dynamic Marks....

Diddler

The only way that I think you could do it, and it would be trial and error with settings is to use a Custom Marks. I have just had a quick play around (I'm under the deadline pressure at the moment and can't experiment more unitll later) and if you use the Rectangle and Line Marks.

Or 2nd quick thought would be to make your custom colour bar with the slur mark you want and import it as a custom mark and lock it to the top of your jobs.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Hmmm I lead a relatively simple life here.

Rectangle and Line Marks are terrific, but I don't think he/she'll be able to get custom slur marks within that. But they are fantastic for quick Spot colour bars... stuff like that.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

A slur mark is just an EPS file...or PDF depending on how you do custom marks in XMF. Can't you use them anywhere you want on the press sheet just like any other EPS or PDF?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

In XMF they'd be easily brought in as Custom Marks. But zacgil is trying to make them auto-place dependent on changing Sheet sizes.

Not sure about that one...  In our case we have named Imported Custom Marks of various lengths, which are selected and placed as needed, pretty easily. But in a high volume environment that could be a PITA as well.

We get around most of these issues by having Stripping Sheet Templates which we can select and copy to construct a job. Sounds messy but it's pretty quick and straightforward. having said that we have about 4 page sizes, and we're mainly Saddle Stitch.
But every place is different... and I don't think we're a good example of a typical shop, as a lot's in-house work.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

I've forgotten most of what I had learned about XMF. Can you assign it to a sheet corner or a certain distance from a sheet corner and it would be in that same location for every sheet size? In Preps we don't use sheet size and make all of our templates to plate size so in Preps sheet size is actually plate size and we assign a mark, for example, .5" inside the top left corner and that is where they fall for every sheet size (plate size for us).

frailer

Well, if XMF were to include slur marks as an option, or combined slur/colour patches, that would probably do it. Colour patches can be set to start at a set distance in from trims/bleed etc., and set to repeat. But they are just that... colour patches; although you can set their width/depth.

Second shot is window for choosing you Imported Custom Marks...

Joe

Sounds like it would work then by creating a custom mark.

In Preps you can take multiple kinds of custom marks and combine them into a Smart Mark.

frailer

Yes, I remember those. I don't think there's an equivalent in XMF, though I'll ask during upgrade process.

I also had a flashback to DynaStrip days too. I think that's on a par with a bad acid trip.

Lyzan

Use the custom marks. You can create default location of the custom marks. Then you can multiple select and drag them into your press sheet.

BTW, custom marks can be moved wherever you want it to be in the press sheet or plate.

Or, if you know how to use Global sheet marks, use it.

//Lyzan