Dual monitors wih new Mac minis

Started by Slappy, January 30, 2012, 02:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Looks like our hardware is starting to arrive (Woo hoo!!!) and I'm just realizing, can the newest Minis natively support dual monitors? The specs on the Apple Product page say so, but from the image of the ports I only see one HDMI port, and a Thunderbolt. DO we have to get some kind of display-splitter doohickey for a 2nd monitor?

i was planing on using my ancient CRT 20" for the 2nd display, so I'd need a VGA adapter at some point. The Mini doesn't even appear to have a mini-DVI port.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

it comes with  the HDMI to DVI adapter for one and the second display goes through the thunderbolt port.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Ahhhhhh, yes! I was reading up & saw that the Thunderbolt accepts MiniDisplayport, but wasn't 100% sure how to get to VGA from there. Thanks!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

Why was I not informed of this Thunderbolt, of which you speak?    :old:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 30, 2012, 04:52:13 PMWhy was I not informed of this Thunderbolt, of which you speak?    :old:

It's been around for awhile now.

frailer

Does this mean there's a port, but a driver would be downloadable/installable?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Probably. Mine at home says no hardware found for Thunderbolt because my iMac does not have a Thunderbolt port. It might automagically install the driver if you plug a Thunderbolt device into it. Have you looked on the back to see if you have a Thunderbolt port?

Chilbear

I use one of these USB devices to hook up my third monitor to my iMac

http://plugable.com/products/uga-2k-a/

get the drivers here as the box does not have the latest

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

works fine with Lion. Res is not top end but it drives a 22 inch just fine.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2012, 05:25:20 PMProbably. Mine at home says no hardware found for Thunderbolt because my iMac does not have a Thunderbolt port. It might automagically install the driver if you plug a Thunderbolt device into it. Have you looked on the back to see if you have a Thunderbolt port?

That was the next step.   :laugh:  Later. Have reduced circulation, I think, in dev tank. Getting over'temp blips. They come, they go, they come...  just feel like wrestling with dev drop/fix lines if I can/re-slush. Can't wait.   :rolleyes:

frailer

Son is a big Metric Halo fan. Interesting, apropos T'bolt.

Slappy

Quote from: Chilbear on January 30, 2012, 05:44:13 PMI use one of these USB devices to hook up my third monitor to my iMac

http://plugable.com/products/uga-2k-a/

get the drivers here as the box does not have the latest

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

works fine with Lion. Res is not top end but it drives a 22 inch just fine.

Wow, that's pretty cool, if a little on the pricy side for this place. Thanks!

Side note: Somebody finally went to set up the first Mini today - but they never bothered to get any of the correct cables or adapters. *sigh*

I gave them the links to order from Monoprice, maybe I'll see those by Friday.