Maverick and Prinergy 4.0 problem

Started by Bakerman, April 23, 2014, 07:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakerman

Hello to All,
I am Bakerman. I am happy to have found this group.
I have a question that I am hoping to find resolution to:

I have a Intel Mac tower that I just upgraded to Maverick. I had to upgrade to utilize the new Quark 10 ( more about that later).
Upgrading has caused me to lose my connection to Prinergy. At first I could not even log into the Prinergy server, I found a way in using "smb" as opposed to the original "apf".

Now when I log on I can only drop my EVO PDF's into the source folder. My refine tools come up but will not let me proceed with the rip. The rip interface is asking for the file name which is something it never did previously. So my question is this : Is there any way to fix this so I can use the rip? Do I need to upgrade my Prinergy software? I am currently using Prinergy 4.0.  I would contact Kodak but we no longer have a service contract with them. I thought I would check here to see what you fine people might know.

I apologize for the long winded problem but I am striving for clarity and a solution.
Any ideas are most welcome and I look forward to future correspondence.

Sincerly,

Bakerman

P.S. I will properly introduce myself once I have a chance.

Farabomb

4.0 is a little old so it probably is having issue with the lack of afp share in maverick.

Welcome to the asylum. I'd help more but I'm slammed.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Welcome to the Forums Bakerman!

Can you log into the Prinergy server directly (like with vnc or the like)?
Have you reset the device path in you process templates?
Like F-bomb says, 4 is a little old, so I'm not sure how it's set up.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Welcome to the forum...

Yeah, as Farabomb mentioned , it might be difficult getting Prinergy 4 to work with Mavericks. Even Prinergy 5 is not Mavericks compatible and version 6 just became compatible Monday (Prinergy 6.0.4). I've never used version 4 as I started on version 5 but I assume you need Workshop installed to do anything. I assume your Prinergy server is might be Windows 2003 server or God forbid Windows 2000. I know AFP in Mavericks would NOT be compatible with the AFP in Windows 2000 server and doubtful it would be with Windows 2003 Server either. So SMB is probably your only option for networking between the two. Which could be an issue if Prinergy requires AFP to work properly. I know you can instruct Prinergy 5 to use SMB instead of AFP in the Prinergy Administrator but I don't know if that is an option with Prinergy 4. Is the "filename" it is asking for say something like a java runtime? (Prinergy 5 will tell you it needs the Java 6 runtime to run and it will down;pad and install it for you but I suspect Prinergy 4 might require even a lower version of java which may not be possible to install on Mavericks) Also, the Prinergy software on your Mac is probably a PowerPC app and if it is it will never, ever work under Mavericks.

Upgrading Prinergy will be an expensive proposition as it would probably require a new Prinergy server to move up to Prinergy 5 or 6. You could easily be in the $30K to $50K range to do an upgrade.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Do you have a full backup of the old hard drive config? If so, I would clone it into another tower (you can buy used Intel Mac Pros fairly reasonably) and use that for doing your normal Prinergy 4 work. Use the Mavericks set-up for newer software apps. I'd swim thru a swamp full of alligators before I'd go back to using Quark though.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Bakerman

First off thanks for all the contributions. I work in a very small shop and upgrading to Prinergy 6.0 is gonna be way too expensive for us. I will try the fixes you all have suggested, however my co-workers will continue with Snow Leopard for the time being.

Upgrading used to fix problems. This has been a nightmare so far. Quark 10 is the worst upgrade I have ever installed. Maverick is not much better. These 2 installs have taken a nice workstation and turned it into a tar pit.

Anyway thanks again for all your help. It's nice to refer to others with similar issues.

Bakerman

Farabomb

I'm a one man show here and it doesn't stop at just prepress either. I feel your pain. I'm running EVO 5.1.6.11 and snow leopard without issues. I to no longer have a service contract seeing as I get faster fixes here and if I just spend some time researching than I ever got from Kodak. They also never fixed issues that we had since initial install. I don't see us having to upgrade anytime soon and if we do, I will fight tooth and nail for it NOT to be anything Kodak.

I'm sorry you have to use Quark. I hate how Adobe has cornered the market and has us by the balls but the products work.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Bakerman on April 24, 2014, 07:09:54 AMFirst off thanks for all the contributions. I work in a very small shop and upgrading to Prinergy 6.0 is gonna be way too expensive for us. I will try the fixes you all have suggested, however my co-workers will continue with Snow Leopard for the time being.

Upgrading used to fix problems. This has been a nightmare so far. Quark 10 is the worst upgrade I have ever installed. Maverick is not much better. These 2 installs have taken a nice workstation and turned it into a tar pit.

Anyway thanks again for all your help. It's nice to refer to others with similar issues.

Bakerman

If you don't need to run Prinergy and Quark a lot at the same time I would throw another HD in there and install Snow Leopard to run Prinergy and then boot to the Maverick HD if you need to run Quark 10. Not ideal but probably the only way you are going to be able to use both without breaking the bank.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quite a good point there Joe.

And when you finally don't ever have to use quark again you can burn that drive in sacrifice to the digital gods.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Bakerman

Quote from: Joe on April 24, 2014, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: Bakerman on April 24, 2014, 07:09:54 AMFirst off thanks for all the contributions. I work in a very small shop and upgrading to Prinergy 6.0 is gonna be way too expensive for us. I will try the fixes you all have suggested, however my co-workers will continue with Snow Leopard for the time being.

Bakerman

If you don't need to run Prinergy and Quark a lot at the same time I would throw another HD in there and install Snow Leopard to run Prinergy and then boot to the Maverick HD if you need to run Quark 10. Not ideal but probably the only way you are going to be able to use both without breaking the bank.

That is a great suggestion. I may have no choice. The really sad thing is the Prinergy works fine and Maverick is okay. Quark is the devil that created this sh!tstorm. To add insult to injury I open Quark 10 and backsave to 9.5, at least it doesn't slow me down too bad other than adding another step to the process.
I am sooooooo looking forward to retirement.

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job