Output file for die maker

Started by Nivin, September 26, 2014, 07:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

My personal favorite are corners that go straight into a fold and leave no room for adjustment. Or, the dies with all solids and no dashes indicating folds. All of them are usually smack dab in the middle or maybe offset an inch or two of a document that is several feet too large on the X and Y axis. How about those open-ended lines where they just assume we know where the fuck it cuts? I've seen it all.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

And wouldn't you like to just leave one as they submit it, just to see what happens? :evil: 

I have a client who is pompous about his files always being correct. He sent one in earlier in the week with 14 active spots. I called to confirm he wanted to print an 18 color job. He was not amused.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Ear on September 26, 2014, 01:46:31 PMAnd wouldn't you like to just leave one as they submit it, just to see what happens? :evil:

I have a client who is pompous about his files always being correct. He sent one in earlier in the week with 14 active spots. I called to confirm he wanted to print an 18 color job. He was not amused.

Hahahaa, I do that all the time. JUST to be a fucking smart-ass. We got to get our fun somewhere?
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

I'm outputting mine from xmf, create a pdf from the layout.
and edit in illy :laugh:

My Diecutter likes it black and I think they would prefer without marks
but I leave the outside corner marks, I've seen how they do it so I know they can deal with it
It's a very cool process die cutting.
our die cutter use to be in walking distance and he had me come over
to show me the whole thing.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

They have this big Table scoring thingy, and from a file they can score out a sample box before the die is made.
very cool, and the same file will bend the wire, so amazing how exact those die's can get, being wire and all

DigitalCrapShoveler

I know of the process, just never had the opportunity to see it. I bet if I did see it done, I wouldn't put up with half the demands those ass-necks demand of us.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 26, 2014, 01:56:47 PMI'm outputting mine from xmf, create a pdf from the layout.
and edit in illy
:laugh:

My Diecutter likes it black and I think they would prefer without marks
but I leave the outside corner marks, I've seen how they do it so I know they can deal with it
It's a very cool process die cutting.
our die cutter use to be in walking distance and he had me come over
to show me the whole thing.

You're so baaaaaad!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Watch out, Tracy is a Rebel.

Next, she is going to place a Quark PDF in InDesign. :shocked:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

The only thing I could add to the sages' comments here is that dezingers nearly always make die-lines knockout. Or, a build of process as well as KO. It's the first thing I look at. Change to Spot + change to OP.
TG for PitStop®
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

StudioMonkey

I had one once where the artwork was a jpeg and the cutter was on the artwork.  Good luck separating that.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

I'd be happy if they made it a spot color. Never happens though.

Pitstop is my friend.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 26, 2014, 02:07:34 PMI know of the process, just never had the opportunity to see it. I bet if I did see it done, I wouldn't put up with half the demands those ass-necks demand of us.
yeah, they don't use the illy file they put it into, I want to say CAD and they can adjust using angles etc...
and the color of the lines changes, so I think not having spot colors is kinda important, If I remember right
the Fold lines and the score lines (dashed) come into the CAD as different colors.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Tracy on September 29, 2014, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 26, 2014, 02:07:34 PMI know of the process, just never had the opportunity to see it. I bet if I did see it done, I wouldn't put up with half the demands those ass-necks demand of us.
yeah, they don't use the illy file they put it into, I want to say CAD and they can adjust using angles etc...
and the color of the lines changes, so I think not having spot colors is kinda important, If I remember right
the Fold lines and the score lines (dashed) come into the CAD as different colors.

Artios Cad.
Member #285 - Civilian

andyfest

Quote from: Ear on September 26, 2014, 01:40:09 PMIt is all about the Illustrator. I don't know that I have ever seen a die-line come in correct from a client. Especially for things like presentation folders, where you leave one edge uncut and bleed the cuts so you can do the final trim on the straight-knife. Details that seem small but are huge for finishing. Moving intersections a RCH so they don't bind and buckle, etc...
Having art placed on a correct, approved dieline file is a necessity for us as all we produce is folding cartons. One of the only things we absolutely force on clients is that they have to use an approved dieline file that is produced by our in-house CAD dept. We produce cut, folded and glued carton samples for the client to approve first. Once they have approved that, we supply a dieline file, usually in .ai format, for them to use. Once in a while we will get a job done by a client's previous supplier that requires us to pull the dieline from and give to our CAD dept, but CAD will take either an .ai or eps file. Diemakers usually prefer .eps because it imports universally into most die software like Cimex or Artios. Our CAD guy can be pretty creative with what he gets supplied so he doesn't have to call us too often.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro