Converting CMYK 'mono' pics but leave all else intact.

Started by frailer, August 08, 2016, 06:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: abc on August 14, 2016, 06:39:33 AMGreat, can you send me a version of how you would like them to look in Grayscale, and also some information on the settings or corrections you did?

Oops...missed this post.

If you convert any of them using the Acrobat setting and then use curves in Pitstop changing 92-94% to 100% is the look I am going for. None of the existing CM settings give me that look. And if it makes any difference the conversion is not all that bad when converting a CMYK 4 color B&W to grayscale but RGB B&W to grayscale almost always looks bad.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Joe

Here are the Acrobat CM settings along with the edit screen for the Acrobat preset that comes with Pitstop.

frailer

QuoteAnd if it makes any difference the conversion is not all that bad when converting a CMYK 4 color B&W to grayscale but RGB B&W to grayscale almost always looks bad.

...confirm that, skipper.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on August 23, 2016, 04:41:36 PM
QuoteAnd if it makes any difference the conversion is not all that bad when converting a CMYK 4 color B&W to grayscale but RGB B&W to grayscale almost always looks bad.

...confirm that, skipper.
...the professor and Mary Ann...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Where'd this ever net out? I set my profiles to Joe's screenshots above, trying to convert a 16pg book with all RGB (should be grayscale) photos & they look flat, no matter which conversion method I try.

Went back & watched the webinar too, the Clean up Black Global isn't any better than the Convert to Color Space.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on March 17, 2017, 01:19:22 PMWhere'd this ever net out? I set my profiles to Joe's screenshots above, trying to convert a 16pg book with all RGB (should be grayscale) photos & they look flat, no matter which conversion method I try.

Went back & watched the webinar too, the Clean up Black Global isn't any better than the Convert to Color Space.

Yeah that is my issue as well. I usually use the Acrobat profile to convert images and then adjust using Pitstop Curve and Brightness/Contrast tools to make them look better. Then I turn off Pitstop color management and run the convert to grayscale action list to convert any vector and text. That is on days when I feel generous. Other days I just convert everything with color management turned off and too effing bad for the dumb-ass people that can't create proper files in the first place.

DigiCorn

We don't have a RIP, so we convert to K like this:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mattbeals

Quote from: Slappy on March 17, 2017, 01:19:22 PMWhere'd this ever net out? I set my profiles to Joe's screenshots above, trying to convert a 16pg book with all RGB (should be grayscale) photos & they look flat, no matter which conversion method I try.

Send me your pdf.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.