InDes not launching

Started by frailer, December 15, 2011, 01:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Did you try Font Cache Cleaner? It works great whenever Quark hoses my fonts. It's easy, maybe worth a shot.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

I read a neat trick on some forum about clearing Safari's font cache. It's almost as magical as quark.

:laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh ya, I remember that!  :lmao:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Everything else running fine. Tried uninstalling FEX and installing fresh download. problem remains with FEX not launching. Having removed FEX plugin from Indy folder, Indy going OK.
I have emailed FEX support, with Crash report.
Something went wonky when I tried a Tools cleanup on the 1st menu item. Someone with a working FEX may confirm that it's 'Clean System Fonts'.    :undecided:  Something came unstuck then, my guess.

Shall try Font Cache Cleaner Monday. A free download?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Yep, a free download. I keep a copy on my FTP to help my clients. It's amazing the gremlins it chases off, especially when Quark is installed on a machine. Sometimes, things just don't seem to be running right, repair permissions, etc... if things are still wonky, FCC seems to straighten things out. Probably because us prepressers load and unload fonts often. I have a zipped copy... it's a little large to attach but PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you.

frailer

Have Western Union'd a PM.    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

OK ear, your FCC ran OK. (the downloaded one didn't). Reported font caches cleaned, though I thought it did it pretty quickly...   :undecided:

FEX still a no-start. Awaiting feedback from Linotype support. They have the Report from the Force Quit.  :shrug:   managing fine via Document Fonts folder, or loading temporarily into Indy's Fonts folder.  double > :shrug:

Thanks for the send...

frailer

My head hurts.....    :shrug:   Had Illy open this morning to adjust and Save As some solid colour bars in XMF. Got an AI file from house dezinger, which had a missing font. WTF, FEX launches... (plugin set to launch in Illy in a 'font' situation). See screenshots. Indy is open at the time.
When done with Illy, I quit it. Quit FEX. Quit Indy Re-launch 'em. Now sitting together in the desk at back of room without pulling each others' hair out.
Seems the Illy plugin-triggered launch 'cleared' something. 
Further testing to see all is still well. I'll relax after a couple o' days.  Colour me confused.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

I don't like unexplained phenomena. Close Encounters of the Linotype kind.

Am wondering if it was as stupid as a Permissions problem.   :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 20, 2011, 10:18:42 PMI don't like unexplained phenomena. Close Encounters of the Linotype kind.

Am wondering if it was as stupid as a Permissions problem.   :undecided:

I doubt it. I don't think letting Illy open it would have fixed a permissions issue. Maybe just dumb luck but it's better to not look a gift horse in the mouth. [/puns]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Big test tomorrow. Close all other apps., and run Tools, starting with 'Clean System Fonts'    :tonofbricks:

frailer

Well, finally sent Linotype tech support request to the correct email.  Seems uninstalling FEX is a bit beyond AppCleaner, cos I did the steps as replied in, unloaded FEX from the DMG, and have a fresh install, which seems to be working fine.
Suspect a PLIST file which I'd previously been unaware of. If anyone wants me to post the list/locations of files to be turfed, let me know. I'll Paste the list here.