Foxmarks/Xmarks for Firefox

Started by gnubler, April 13, 2009, 08:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Today I deleted my account from the Foxmarks/Xmarks addon for Firefox after accidentally and stupidly updating from Foxmarks to Xmarks. I had read about the "new and improved" Foxmarks a few days ago and decided I did not want to upgrade to the new "features" being offered in Xmarks - namely the sharing of my bookmarks and having sites similar to my bookmarked sites offered to me. NO THANKS. As if internet users aren't pummeled enough with forced advertising crapola.

After accidentally upgrading to Xmarks, I read through some of the comments on the Mozilla addons page:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/reviews/display/2410

As well as more comments on the Xmarks site:

http://www.getsatisfaction.com/foxmarks

And many users are not happy with the new "features" as well as some major bugs with getting constant duplicate bookmarks after every sync. I have also deleted my account with Foxmarks/Xmarks, uninstalled the addon, and installed SyncPlaces - which does the same thing except you need your own hosting account to store the bookmarks sync file. Here's the link to SyncPlaces if you decide to switch:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8426

The developer has released a defensive statement regarding many users' concerns over spyware/adware, but it still smells rotten to me.

QuoteWow, from hero to zero in less than 600KB!! Of course this is spyware, it defaults to sharing your details without your permission, forget the mealy mouthed protestations of the "representative".

QuoteThese guys think we're all stupid.Same happened to other popular addon few weeks ago who suddenly felt the need to "help us search better". Don't need your spyware crap, time to move.

QuoteI am uninstalling Xmarks right now, and looking for an alternative. I've been using this add-on for as long as I can remember. The recent changes are too much. I don't want you sharing my bookmarks. I don't like that it overrides my search results with ads.

QuoteWhat is it? It steals my private data!!!
Who told you guys that analyze my browse history or suggest what other users bookmarks is a good think!
SUGGEST: DO NOT UPGRADE IT!!

QuoteFor those not using their own server, make sure to go into your account settings on the xmarks website and disable the new bookmark contribution spyware "feature".

...etc. Just an FYI to anyone using Foxmarks to sync your bookmarks between computers.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Stiv

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

delooch

sounds like a mess.

i just use the google toolbar for bookmarks - it works pretty well.  i never cache any passwords because i know my IT guys love to snoop. 

Slappy

Interesting, I'd meant to install FoxMarks for a while & just never got around to it. One reason being, I wasn't sure how simple it was to mix my work & personal bookmarks like that but still have them segregated, as it were. I'll look at SyncPlaces though, thx.

Re: Passwords - I installed 1Password on the Macs at home & work recently. I feel pretty confident nobody is getting into my bizness any time soon.  :wink:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

I use it because I like having the same set of bookmarks at home and at work. I don't have any passwords saved anywhere - I just use my brain to store passwords.

What stinks is the automatic sharing of my bookmarks and forced suggestions of similar sites. NO.  :death:

Slappy

Okay, doing some more reading & found this on a random blog:

QuoteXmarks uses bookmark information from other users to display an icon next to Google search results that, when hovered over, displays a tooltip with a screenshot of the webpage, a scale rating (1-5) of the number of times that page has been bookmarked, and the average review score (1-5) that that page earned from the reviews that users can write from the Xmarks website. Theres also a "Get Site Info" button that brings you to that website's page on Xmarks that has more statistics and related sites. The information that Xmarks retrieves doesn't include any personal information though, which makes me wonder: Whats with all the craze? Does it really deserve the criticism?

Hmmmm...
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

delooch

gnub. thats what the google toolbar does. im not a fan of browser toolbars, but its not so intrusive. you just log in with your google ID and you have access to all your bookmarks from any 'puter that has the toolbar installed.

Organizing them, well thats a different story...

gnubler

Quote from: Slappy on April 14, 2009, 11:47:59 AMOkay, doing some more reading & found this on a random blog:

QuoteXmarks uses bookmark information from other users to display an icon next to Google search results that, when hovered over, displays a tooltip with a screenshot of the webpage, a scale rating (1-5) of the number of times that page has been bookmarked, and the average review score (1-5) that that page earned from the reviews that users can write from the Xmarks website. Theres also a "Get Site Info" button that brings you to that website's page on Xmarks that has more statistics and related sites. The information that Xmarks retrieves doesn't include any personal information though, which makes me wonder: Whats with all the craze? Does it really deserve the criticism?

Hmmmm...

It's just more ad shit, trying to get people to the main Xmarks site. They lost me.

gnubler

Quote from: delooch on April 14, 2009, 11:59:58 AMgnub. thats what the google toolbar does. im not a fan of browser toolbars, but its not so intrusive. you just log in with your google ID and you have access to all your bookmarks from any 'puter that has the toolbar installed.

Cool, didn't know about that. Another option then...but does Google do any funny shit with your saved bookmarks like Xmarks is now doing? I have so many different midget pron sites bookmarked - privacy is a must.

delooch

Quote from: gnubler on April 14, 2009, 12:44:15 PM
Quote from: delooch on April 14, 2009, 11:59:58 AMgnub. thats what the google toolbar does. im not a fan of browser toolbars, but its not so intrusive. you just log in with your google ID and you have access to all your bookmarks from any 'puter that has the toolbar installed.

Cool, didn't know about that. Another option then...but does Google do any funny shit with your saved bookmarks like Xmarks is now doing? I have so many different midget pron sites bookmarked - privacy is a must.

they dont share/suggest like xmarks. but i do imagine the bookmarks are stored on a google server somewhere. standard Goolgle TOS applies..  ive never had privacy concerns with it. works pretty well.