News:

Main Menu

Guide to Prepress

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, January 20, 2012, 03:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Syphon on January 20, 2012, 08:42:25 PMGreat work DCS, but here is my input:

1.  You need to change "Listed below are some of the more common extensions we in Prepress encounter." to "Listed below are some of the more common extensions Prepress encounters."
It's just too many words. Fewer words and easier to read, plus your clients might actually read it if it's short and to the point.

2.  You might want to just create a "What Prepress Needs" guide that is just straight forward "include InDesign file packaged with Fonts and Links" and a simple how to. I did a one page instruction PDF of how to "Package" in InDesign and one for QuarkXPress with screenshots. Clients might respond better with pictures included.

3.  Clients' attitudes are "I don't have the time to read this" or "I'm paying you idiots to fix it and just make me (the client) look good", so just do it! On top of that, all of this is just seems to be over their heads or they just want to do things their way and screw you. We have a client who refuse to include bleed on her full ads (all made in Photoshop). We gave up years ago after giving instructions and showing how to and to this day, she insist on doing her way and to this day we have to spend a couple of hours adding bleed to the Photoshop files.

But, you might have a few clients that would want to learn and will appreciate the detailed explanations, so you might have to create to guides: one for those that want to know and one for those who are complete bullshit idiots.

Thanks Syphon... good input. I don't really care if they understand it or not. The information is there, and it's up to them to either follow it or ignore it like they already do. Most customers will be more enticed by the paper, finishes and after effects.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 06:43:28 PM
Quote from: Skryber on January 20, 2012, 06:35:51 PMNice job! Call it " Jason's Pocket Pal" or "Prepress for Dumbasses".

You remind me, I will also need to do a short section on digital printing. To cover it all.

I already have a "pocket pal". It's called a Benchmade model 42 Balisong butterfly knife. My bestest friend.

Mine's name is "Kershaw". It's my 2nd bestest friend.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Quote from: gnubler on January 21, 2012, 11:57:23 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 20, 2012, 06:43:28 PM
Quote from: Skryber on January 20, 2012, 06:35:51 PMNice job! Call it " Jason's Pocket Pal" or "Prepress for Dumbasses".

You remind me, I will also need to do a short section on digital printing. To cover it all.

I already have a "pocket pal". It's called a Benchmade model 42 Balisong butterfly knife. My bestest friend.
Mine's name is "Kershaw". It's my 2nd bestest friend.

mine is a Swiss Army knife...  I can open a beer, pick mah teeth, trim my ear hairs, and cut you up...

actually, I use it to cut limes for my margarita     :drunk3:

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

lol

So I'm not the only one with a sticky pocket knife?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

:naughty: Sticky wicket isn't cricket.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black