Quark PC glyph problem

Started by Ear, September 19, 2014, 03:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Got a strange one on my hands. Grab your time machines.

Client has Quark 4 on a PC. Large catalog. I am opening on a G5 Mac in Quark 6, oldest active version of quark available to me. No PC Quark here. The entire thing is set in TNR-PS font. I have loaded a compatible version and everything else seems fine.

The problem is, the client is using an obscure extension for quick glyph creation, (subset 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc..). When I open the file, some of the characters are correct and others are simply showing as fl. Client says he types 1/2, then uses drop-down extension to change it to a subset 1/2. The odd part is that some work and others do not. I'm sure it is a problem with his quick glyph extension not transferring properly but the inconsistency has me vexed.

Has anyone seen this? The catalog is simply too large to manually fix all the problems on my end without a huge time investment and risk of missing many. I would love to simply solve the problem globally.

He has no postscript drivers, nor Acro Pro on his PC and I don't think quark 4 was capable of exporting to PDF directly. I suggested, if I can't find a fix, that he bring the PC here, let me plug it in to my network, share a PS driver and have him print a postscript file, from his PC.

Any other ideas?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

8 reads and no takers. You guys are chicken.

Where are the Brits... they still use Quark, right?  :laugh:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Client could print .ps file maybe?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Ear

I can't imagine he would have a .ps driver.

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 19, 2014, 04:26:43 PMClient could print .ps file maybe?

Agreed....have him load a PS driver and print the PDF and then let you distill it. But it still sounds like a disaster in the making.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

If you're stuck fixing manually, try F13 / font usage and replace TNR with smtn else and see if it magically works?

born2print

Ear

:laugh: Ya, I tried font sub and it didn't help.

born2print

save as Q6, open in Q7 and try glyphs pallate?

Ear

Not a bad idea with Q7. I'm taking off meow... I'll try that Monday. Keep 'em comin'!

born2print

ok, forget it if you're gonna be a little "cat" about it  :grin:

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Ear on September 19, 2014, 04:10:35 PM8 reads and no takers. You guys are chicken.

Where are the Brits... they still use Quark, right?  :laugh:

Er . . . not not personally, no not if I can help it.  This sounds like typical Quark bullshit, which is why [refer to previous sentence] etc.  Remember that Quark is only partially compatible with PostScript hence the clunky workaround extensions for drop shadows etc.

My first thought - no my second thought would be to email him a PS driver - AFAIK you don't need to actually have the printer to use the driver.  He can make the PDF or PS file with that and see if it works.

One more to try would be for him to send you the offending plugin/extension - it might work on your QX6.  If not can you get hold of a copy of Quark 4?  <-- starting to get desparate

And tell him what is causing the problem and advise him that in future he must avoid using
a) that extension
b) very old software
c) Quark
or leave enough time / face a bill for you to fix it.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DigiCorn

I didn't see this; it was posted after I left for the day and I didn't check in again until this morning. There is a Quark XTension, probably available still at Quark.com (for support $$$), that makes fractions. I forget the exact name, but I used to have it. It's used to be a free XTension. Lousy q looks like they removed that stuff from their site. They incorporated that feature into newer releases. Now this is all I can find there, which is dumb, because I think everyone knows this: http://quark.parature.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1157&hitOffset=269+253+233+175+164+133+101+87+79+74+66+53+47+14+4&docID=862 or http://www.planetquark.com/2010/08/10/control-fractions-in-quarkxpress/#.VCA2RCihja4
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway