An issue with a customer supplied .ps file

Started by Lumpy, June 03, 2011, 10:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Good Morning everyone,

I have a customer that creates a newsletter in Publisher and saves out a .ps file for us to use.
I take their .ps file and distill it to make a pdf.
Well, one of the pages was missing a photo when we printed it.
Heres my question - If a customer gives you a .ps file and you distill it, would a picture that they claim is there disappear in the process?
On a side note, When I open the pdf in Illustrator, all the other photos show up in the links palette and where the photo that they claim is there all I get is a white box and nothing in the links palette for that photo except a white box.

Thanks for any input,
Lumpy
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

gnubler

QuoteAn issue with a customer supplied...

Shocking!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ahhh, good ole Punisher.
Sounds like a non-linked image. something copy and pasted or even from the internet. I bet if they make the PDF it will be there. I don't think you can work around this unless you actually get the file from them and put in in there yourself. Have fun!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Lumpy

Yeah thats what I did. I got the famous missing image and placed it, of course after the newsletter was printed and delivered and the customer saw it after they approved our proof with the photo missing on our proof but didn't see it missing on our proof and of course they didn't provide a printout of what the job was supposed to look like when they gave us the .ps file. Ahh, that felt good.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Joe

Quote from: Lumpy on June 03, 2011, 10:05:18 AMGood Morning everyone,

I have a customer that creates a newsletter in Publisher and saves out a .ps file for us to use.
I take their .ps file and distill it to make a pdf.
Well, one of the pages was missing a photo when we printed it.
Heres my question - If a customer gives you a .ps file and you distill it, would a picture that they claim is there disappear in the process?
On a side note, When I open the pdf in Illustrator, all the other photos show up in the links palette and where the photo that they claim is there all I get is a white box and nothing in the links palette for that photo except a white box.

Thanks for any input,
Lumpy

:lmao:

Hope for the best. Expect the worst.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

yeah, thats a setup for failure, I would at least expect a laser to show what it should look like.
or if they can't create a good pdf maybe a bad one along with the .ps

David

question---
if they're savvy enough to give you a .ps file, why not a stupid pdf?  They're easier to make, especially when you have missing images.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Yeah. Not to mention the .ps is probably fucking huge.

Today I asked a CSR if a custy could just supply a PDF and her answer was "She doesn't even know what a PDF is."  :death:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

Quote from: david on June 03, 2011, 01:25:44 PMquestion---
if they're savvy enough to give you a .ps file, why not a stupid pdf?  They're easier to make, especially when you have missing images.
they prolly don't have distiller is what Im figurin

Joe

gnubler

Joe

I have a copy here at work in the closet. Hopefully it stays there.

gnubler