Suprasetters_where made?

Started by frailer, September 18, 2016, 11:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Having to 'look' at Suprasetters, though it's a comparison exercise it seems, more than anything. My instinct is Screen PlateRite 4600/S.
My question... wondering if anyone knows if Suprasetters are made in Germany or whether they've been off-shored somewhere.

The PlateRites are made in Kyoto.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

zox

My Heidelberg tech tells me it is Heidelberg machine, designed from ground up by Heidelberg, including the Laser heads and built in Wiesloch where presses are made.
We just installed one for testing and I can tell you it is way different from Screen (We have couple of Screen devices too).
I really like how smart they utilized the space, cassette loader is under the conveyer, on Screen cassette loader is on a side so footprint used is huge.

Marktonk

Quote from: frailer on September 18, 2016, 11:15:48 PMHaving to 'look' at Suprasetters, though it's a comparison exercise it seems, more than anything. My instinct is Screen PlateRite 4600/S.
My question... wondering if anyone knows if Suprasetters are made in Germany or whether they've been off-shored somewhere.

The PlateRites are made in Kyoto.

Hi frailer,
Zox is correct, the Suprasetter is designed and manufactured by Heidelberg in Weisloch, Germany, I am a bit familiar with the background as I was Product Manager for CtP in the US from 2000 to 2009. When Heidelberg acquired Linotype-Hell, we had the Gutenberg visible light laser CtP. In 1997, we went into a joint venture with Creo. Creo had the thermal Trendesetter and there were plates that held up to UV inks that visible light plates would not. Creo supplied the technology, Heidelberg supplied worldwide distribution and took over manufacturing. In 2000, Creo acquired Scitex, which was a direct competitor to Heidelberg Prepress. We dissolved the JV. With the Trendsetter, we did miss having internal punching and roboust automation with slipsheet removal we had with the Gutenberg. At that time, Screen offer this and  we purchased the Intellectual Rights to the Screen Plateright and named it the Topsetter. We started manufacture the Topsetter in Germany. In 2001, we launched the Heidelberg designed Prosetter Violet CtP. Once the Prosetter took off, we started R&D on the design of the Suprasetter. At Drupa 2004 we launched the Suprasetter 105 and Suprasetter 74. One thing we noticed is the Prosetter had a up 52 size CtP and there was the demand for a thermal version. At Graph Expo, 2006, I launched the new Suprasetter A74/A52.  At Drupa 2008, Heidelberg launched the new XL162 and XL 145 VLF presses and we launched the Suprasetter VLF CtP. One thing in common between the quite extensive system is that we use the same high quality laser in the 2 up to the VLF. It is the newest laser design on the market. So, although the Topsetter was a great CtP for it's time, we have moved on with our own design. I fell we really made improvements in technology. You said you are looking at the Plateright 4600 S. in that format, we have the Suprasetter A75. It has the smallest footprint of any CtP in this class. Our automation is called an AutoTopLoader or DualTopLoader. The automation sits on top of the CtP and only extends the front 18". We have greatly simplified the auto loading of plates, we feed the plate straight in like a press feeds paper, we do not have to flip the plate 180 degrees and travel a long distance to the CtP. We are the most energy efficient CtP on the market, the A75 only uses 550 watts when imaging, less than a hair dryer. We have the widest environment operating range of 62.6 to 86 degrees F and the widest humidity range of 30 to 70%. With our laser we have Intelligent Didoe system, we can lose more than one diode and continue to image. I could go on but just finished lunch and back at it. If you do have any questions, please let me know.
Best,
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

DigiCorn

Hey Mark,

Are you the same guy who fingerprinted our press, plates and EFI Epson at J&M in Rocklin, California about 10 years ago? I think you were from Chicago or Seattle?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Marktonk

Hi DigiCorn,

I am from Chicago (go Cubs) but that was not me as I was in Product Management then. So I would guess it was Ken who is from Chicago too or if the person was 6'8", it would have been Morgan from LA back then.  We do have several others that implement color management too but these would be the likely suspects :smiley: .

Best,

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DigiCorn

Quote from: Marktonk on September 20, 2016, 11:03:20 AMHi DigiCorn,

I am from Chicago (go Cubs) but that was not me as I was in Product Management then. So I would guess it was Ken who is from Chicago too or if the person was 6'8", it would have been Morgan from LA back then.  We do have several others that implement color management too but these would be the likely suspects :smiley: .

Best,

Mark
Yeah - I think it was you. You wanted good Mexican food, and I gave you a few recommendations. I definitely remember the guy's name was Mark, and then something German or slavic. Anyway, I have previously posted the praise of whoever it was, because if it wasn't you, then there's another guy there who really knows his shit. It would have been about 2005-2007, as I left in '08 and it had been done for a few years. The owners were two older crotchety guys who yell a lot.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Dude, he's not a prepresser so he probably remembers what he did in the past. Not everyone in printing is doing their best to drown all the horrors of the day and forget them.

P.S. using a descriptor like 2 old crotchety yelling owners is like saying "the white BMW" at a BMW track event or "a black guy" at a BLM rally. It really doesn't narrow it down.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 20, 2016, 10:09:21 PMThe owners were two older crotchety guys who yell a lot.
...that should pin it down for everyone. :laugh:   ... well, notwithstanding farabomb's premise. I'm going for 'memorable' old Simpsons grand-dad types.

Marktonk

Hey DigiCorn,
I do have a bit of memory left in spite of having been a Prepress Manager at a web print shop for 6 years. And I did checked with my real memory, my wife. Although asking about good Mexican sounds very much like me, I was Product Manager for CtP and Color at the time but did not implement in the field. Perhaps I visited as I did travel some. The last time I saw a crotchety guy was this morning when I shaved.
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Joe

Quote from: Marktonk on September 22, 2016, 08:51:14 AMThe last time I saw a crotchety guy was this morning when I shaved.

Weird. I see him every morning too. ;)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on September 21, 2016, 09:13:48 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 20, 2016, 10:09:21 PMThe owners were two older crotchety guys who yell a lot.
...that should pin it down for everyone. :laugh:  ... well, notwithstanding farabomb's premise. I'm going for 'memorable' old Simpsons grand-dad types.
I figured most shops just had one. We had two.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway