Looking at Alternatives to Kodak Prinergy

Started by Syphon, March 10, 2015, 09:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

They never resolved a major issue (service crash on boot) that we had since install. That always bothered me. It doesn't matter that because of my computer experience I know how to restart a service so it doesn't leave us down.

If it was a normal prepresser I would consider it non-functioning. For the price they charged and the years we had a service contract gave them all sorts of time to resolve it, as the install tech assured me when the issue came up. They never did and most of the time I found the solution to my issues either here or google so we canceled the service.

I'm a special example and Joe has has the opposite experience so YMMV.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

jay12345

no the 8k from fuji is obviously per year. and the $642 per month from kodak is $7700 per year. that is why i was saying they are cheaper. as far as the options go. we dont have the RBA. which adds  $200 more per month.
Rampage v13 - Rampage Remote 3.1 - Alwan ColohubX Eco 5.0.1 - Dynastrip 7.5 - Adobe CC - HP Indigo 5500 - HP Smartstream

Joe

Yeah that makes sense. We have RBA, Archiving, Print Link, PDF Compare, 2 licenses for Preps, VLF output, etc...and all of that stuff adds up quickly. I see you are getting a discount at the bottom also. Plates?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jay12345

plates yeah. but they were just trying to stick it to fuji at that point.
Rampage v13 - Rampage Remote 3.1 - Alwan ColohubX Eco 5.0.1 - Dynastrip 7.5 - Adobe CC - HP Indigo 5500 - HP Smartstream

RMPrepress

We are looking at switching from Esko Nexus 10.1.3 to Kodak Prinergy 6/7 right now.
We just had a three figure quote given to us for RBA, Bus. link, PrintLink, 3 Preps seats, InSite and training also the standby server.

Joe, do you use InSite?  We are thinking that it will be a tough sell for at least half of our customers.
How about business link?  We have EFI Pace as our MIS but currently have no integration with prepress.
How is MIS integration working for you?
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

So a 3 figure quote? $999 or lower? That's not the Kodak I know. For that kind of product I think you would be at 6 figures easily. ;)

When we bought Prinergy, at the last moment we opted to not get the standby server. It was a good decision as we've never had a need for it going on 6 years now.

We have Insite and use it exclusively with almost ALL of our customers. They like uploading, barring java issues on their computers which should go away soon, better than uploading via FTP. We thought they might balk at having to upload and then approve their pages but it went pretty smoothly. Customers login, create their job, upload files, Prinergy refines all pages in the background and then they approve/reject as needed. Once they are all approved we check the files, impose and plate. The important thing we had to do with our customers is not give them a choice.

We do not use Business Link or any MIS software. We do have RBA, PrintLink and 2 Preps seats.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.