Smart Hot Folders in Prinergy

Started by Joe, September 23, 2016, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hello,

Having an issue with smart hot folders which I think has been setup correctly. The input file pattern is:

[$Customer]_[$]_[#Date:6]_[$]_[$]_[#Page:3]_[$]_[$]_[$].[$Ext]

and the Output Job name pattern is:

[$Customer]_[#Date]

The input PDF is named:

LDN_NEWS_091616_01_A_022_00_01_NW.PDF

When the file is copied into the smart hot folder it moves it into the 'Processed' folder but not into any of the other 3 folders named 'Incoming, Rejected, or Temp' and it never creates the new job. It should create the new job off of a template job named LadueNewsPT that is in the Pre-Jobs ==> Insite ==> RULES group in Workshop. In that template job there is a hot folder setup to process the incoming files but seeing as how it never creates the job of course no files get processed.

I have tried deleting the smart hot folder a couple of times and recreating it fresh but it still never creates the job.

Any clues from any Prinergy users?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Sorry Joe, we don't use hotfolder set-up :shrug:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DCurry

Is it possible that all $s need a descriptor? We have tons of SHFs, but it's rare that we're ever creating new ones so my knowledge is limited.

I would try to simplify it til you get it to work, and then add back criteria one at a time, testing each time.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 23, 2016, 12:08:58 PMSorry Joe, we don't use hotfolder set-up :shrug:

We didn't either until a customer wanted for his workflow to feed Insite via FTP instead of their operators having to manually drop PDF's on the Insite upload window. GASP! The horror!

born2print

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on September 23, 2016, 12:18:38 PMIs it possible that all $s need a descriptor? We have tons of SHFs, but it's rare that we're ever creating new ones so my knowledge is limited.

I would try to simplify it til you get it to work, and then add back criteria one at a time, testing each time.

It is seeing the file because it is moving but it never creates the job. At first it was moving the file to the rejected folder so I know I had the naming pattern fubarred but once I got that straightened out I thought I was home free. So now it moves the file but never creates the job. But I will try making it simpler and see if it works. Thanks for that thought.

Joe

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on September 23, 2016, 12:18:38 PMIs it possible that all $s need a descriptor? We have tons of SHFs, but it's rare that we're ever creating new ones so my knowledge is limited.

OK. I have made it as simple as I can:

[%Cust].[%Ext]

and the Output Job name pattern is:

[%Cust]

The input PDF is named:

LN.pdf

Same results. PDF gets moved to 'Proceesed' folder and a job never gets created after that.

born2print

Try service call?
...so they can tell you it'a a known bug  :P

Ear

Quote from: DCurry on September 23, 2016, 12:18:38 PMI would try to simplify it til you get it to work, and then add back criteria one at a time, testing each time.
:goodpost:

This pretty much covers the scope of prepress. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 23, 2016, 01:11:27 PMTry service call?
...so they can tell you it'a a known bug  :P

Sent the request at 11:30 am. Close to 2:30 pm here now. Haven't heard back from Kodak which is kind of unusual. They are usually pretty prompt. I hope no one gave them the day off without my OK! :sarcasm:

Joe

OK. It is official. I'm a senile old idiot.

It was creating the job at different times depending on if I had the file naming patterns correct. It was creating the jobs on the Jobs side while I was looking in the Pre-Jobs side. Who knew?

Good call. This is important. If you don't add a descriptor it sometimes will scramble the names in the new job. Sometimes it won't. But if you add the descriptor to each one of those [$] the names stay like they were. Kudos. You win poster of the week! ;D

DCurry

Glad you got it sorted out. The Jobs/Pre-Jobs issue was going to be my next question for you. Too bad the search function doesn't look at both at the same time.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Yes because I did do a search and got no results because I was on the pre-jobs side of things. I'm used to all jobs being in pre-jobs because that is where Insite creates them.