Color Handling Specs

Started by Slappy, June 11, 2013, 08:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

This may belong in Proofing/Color but since it's InDesign specific I'm dropping it here.

I sent a run-of-the-mill bus card to the digital machine recently, re-order of a client we've done numerous times. Of course, some of the colors shifted (4c and a Spot) so I went back to a previous order to see if anything in the art had changed. All the same, but I realized it was sent from another Mac here so I went to that machine, opened the previous, checked the Print Settings and here's where it gets messy.

That person's InDesign settings under the Color Handling section are set to "Let InDesign Determine Colors" and the profile is the CMYK-US Web Coated SWOP v2. Mine has always been set to "No Color Management" intending to have the output device (the Xerox in this case) have it's way with the files.

Which is right, or at least preferable in a digital output setting? Should we ideally have a target profile for the digital devices & apply those in InDesign's Printer Profile across the board?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

I have let indesign determine colors set

Slappy

And the same Printer Profile as shown, or one specific to your device(s)? I see that we have the ability at the Xerox to create Device Link profiles using the hand-held spectro, I wonder if that's worth the trouble.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

we do no color management outside of the rips.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

mine is the same as the first one
I usually print from pdfs tho.