News:

Main Menu

Backstage...

Started by geminianspark, June 10, 2010, 08:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geminianspark

Anybody out here using backstage with Illustrator/deskpack?  We'll be configuring backstage next week.  I'm looking for a way to pull database information from Prism into Backstage if possible.  Anybody know how to do this?

Also... any suggestions/tips on configuration?  We've got 6 people in our department.... all trained Packedge/Plato (PC) users who are being 'forced by corporate' to move to Illustrator with Deskpack. To keep us consistent with other plants, we've been setup with a Nexus rip for digital flexo plate output and an EPSON 7900 with EFI for color proofing.  All workflows are pretty basic right now as we're (meaning mostly me... are just learning how to configure all this together).

Our Packedge workflow uses smartmarks for a proof box as well as for our barrer bars and there is very minimal manual input from artists to accomplish this.  That is also our goal for this Illustrator workflow which will also be PC based.  We will begin creating tasks/tickets next week as well as begin trying to implement a proof box/barrers via new smartmarks and are hoping to be able to pull this data both through our current packedge workflow and a new Illy/deskpack workflow. 

David

Got Esko everything but the Deskpack here, we even use Prism.

Fixing to get the Esko System 10 disk in and we'll be trying that.

Sorry, not much help.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: david on June 11, 2010, 07:32:19 AMGot Esko everything but the Deskpack here, we even use Prism.

Fixing to get the Esko System 10 disk in and we'll be trying that.

Sorry, not much help.

Looking that way myself saw some interesting automated impo tools.

David

looking forward to some new toys...

we'll see
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

Okay, Backstage INSTALLED.  Configuration: Incomplete.    We had a corporate FUCtastrophie around here...   LOOOOOng story but the giblets are that I am configuring the tickets for an entire workflow and I just got introduced to backstage for the first time last week. 

SOooo... on to my question:  When in Illustrator, I go to Window/EskoArtwork and choose: LaunchTask.... I choose "Export to Normalized File" for Task Type and Pick my Ticket Name and hit Launch.   It saves it to the desired folder, however, this is a trapped file and ALL my traps show 100% ink coverage ON TOP of the art.... in other words, my overprints don't show as overprints.  The only workaround at the moment for that is to turn off the trap layer and relaunch the task.  BUT, this doesn't show the traps in the pdf as our company wants to do to show the customer how their art will look with bleed lines. 

SOOOO, i tried a different route.... i created a Normalize Postscript/PDF/Illustrator 8 ticket and launched that on the .ai file from Backstage.  I've tried literally thousands of possible settings in this ticket and i'm getting the same results except the only way for the traps to not show at all here is to move the trapx layer under the art layers.   

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS here????   I'm at my wits end with this.  OH, and the Export to Normalized PDF ticket does not show up as a possible ticket when the Illustrator file is selected in backstage.... I'm new to this and i'd love an explanation as to why...  any takers? :banghead:

David

are you viewing the file in Acrobat with "overprint preview" turned on?
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Quote from: geminianspark on June 25, 2010, 03:33:20 PMOH, and the Export to Normalized PDF ticket does not show up as a possible ticket when the Illustrator file is selected in backstage.... I'm new to this and i'd love an explanation as to why...  any takers? :banghead:

Do you mean the "Import PS PDF" ticket when an Illustrator file is selected?
or, are you trying to export the illustrator file as a normalized pdf?
It won't show up because you can only export a normalized pdf, not an Illustrator file.
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

Quote from: david on June 25, 2010, 04:42:09 PMare you viewing the file in Acrobat with "overprint preview" turned on?

No, I wasn't.   Will my customers have this option available for viewing out of Acrobat Reader... or is this just a full version option?

Quote from: david on June 25, 2010, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: geminianspark on June 25, 2010, 03:33:20 PMOH, and the Export to Normalized PDF ticket does not show up as a possible ticket when the Illustrator file is selected in backstage.... I'm new to this and i'd love an explanation as to why...  any takers? :banghead:

Do you mean the "Import PS PDF" ticket when an Illustrator file is selected?
or, are you trying to export the illustrator file as a normalized pdf?
It won't show up because you can only export a normalized pdf, not an Illustrator file.

We don't have the "import PS PDF" ticket option available but we have a ticket option out of Backstage titled "Export Normalized PDF" and a Launch Task in Illustrator named the same way.  If i understand you correctly... the Launch Task will export the Illustrator file to a normalized file but the Backstage version is for Export a normalized to a regular pdf?

David

Quote from: geminianspark on June 28, 2010, 10:32:23 AMNo, I wasn't.   Will my customers have this option available for viewing out of Acrobat Reader... or is this just a full version option?
Yes, Reader has the option to turn it on as well, it's in the preferences. There should be an option to have it on all the time.

QuoteWe don't have the "import PS PDF" ticket option available but we have a ticket option out of Backstage titled "Export Normalized PDF" and a Launch Task in Illustrator named the same way.  If I understand you correctly... the Launch Task will export the Illustrator file to a normalized file but the Backstage version is for Export a normalized to a regular pdf?

You are confusing two different apps (it's weird, the same verbiage for two completely different things).
In Illustrator, you "export" your native file to a normalized pdf (Esko pdf)
In Backstage, you "export" a normalized pdf (Esko pdf) to a non-esko (or mac native) pdf.

Does that help?
As far as the trapping issue, do you have this set as a chain ticket (to normalize and trap at the same time)?
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

yes, that makes more sense now. 

I believe the overprint setting may help with the traps, haven't had time to test it yet though.  But yes, it is set up as a chain ticket, though currently I have the Normalize Postscript/PDF/Illustrator ticket set up on its own because there are several tickets to choose from depending on the type of proofs the artist needs to send out and we were concerned about it going through the normalization process multiple times and recieving different outcomes....  so to recap, right now, the Illustrator file is a trapX'd one-up, which then is normalized out of backstage pilot and saved into an Esko Proof folder.  From that file, there are multiple proof tickets available...  each one generates a report through a reportmaker ticket which adds a template to the file, then exports it as a regluar pdf and saves it to the Esko Proof folder, then either prints it somewhere or copies it to an outgoing share somewhere.  So hopefully, this part is squared away now.

While I've got you here though, one more question:  This time, I'm going from the one-up and Launching a StepX task.  I pick the correct ticket and choose my smartmark template.  One of the smartmarks in the template is the username.  When viewing the processed task file, the username comes up as admin instead of the user.  I am logged in as my username through backstage, however based on your previous explanation, i am launching a task so I am assuming it is grabbing my deskpack username?  Would that be a correct assumption?

David

yes, you are correct, it picks that up based on how you log in.
Here, we can user admin/admin or digi/digi as a login if the guys don't have a username (I always have to ask which of the guys it is, cause a few of them use the digi username).
They should set you up as an admin so you can edit tickets and create chains yourself. It makes it easier to track things as well.
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

yes, I'm an admin for backstage and have setup each person as a user.   But for some reason, when using stepX and attaching my barrer bars with a smartname to add the "User".... it is grabbing ADMIN on all computers.  It works correctly in packedge, but not through the stepx and i can't figure out where or why it's grabbing the admin from..... on backstage... adminstrator is logged off.  I am logged in. 

David

Weird, it should be working off of whatever username is logged in (as long as your username isn't admin... haha).
Not sure how that got that way. Have you tried putting in a call? It could be a little patch you need or some kind of config setting.

I'm headed off for the day (they make me leave), I'll check into it tomorrow and let you know if I can point you in a direction that might help.
Livin' la Vida Loca

geminianspark

yup.... just got off the phone with esko... they said it they didn't think it was possible but they're looking into it for me. 

Thanks for all your help today though.... i really appreciate it!

David

very good, let me know if you need any more help.
Livin' la Vida Loca