News:

Main Menu

windows on a mac

Started by WharfRat, April 23, 2014, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WharfRat

I need to run Windows 8 along with Mavericks on a new iMAC.
What is the general conscious about the best way to achieve this?
Is Parallels the way to go? Do I need BootCamp?

Any insight will be appreciated.

MSD

DCurry

If you use BootCamp, that means you'll have to reboot your Mac into Windows every time you want to use it, then reboot back into Mac when you're done. Sounds like a pain, to me. With Parallels or VMWare Fusion you run Windows simultaneously within the Mac OS environment.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

You can use VirtualBox for free if you would like to test it out. I think Parallels or VMWare are better products with better resources and support but it doesn't cost anything to try VirtualBox. I use it at work but I don't have to fire it up very often. One thing you need is to have as much RAM as possible. I think a minimum of 16 gb and 32 gb would be ideal. Make sure you make the virtual HD large enough to account for the OS plus any future updates. You can set it to automatically expand as it needs it but I've always had issues with using that. It never seems to expand as it needs to and I would always get low disk space messages. But that has been awhile. They may have fixed that and it was Parallels that I had that issue with. I stopped updating Parallels as every time a new version of the Mac OS was released Parallels would stop working and then you have have to buy the upgrade as they won't fix an existing version to run with a new OS so it became expensive to keep up with it. VMWare...I used a 30 day demo once and it was hands down the best of the three but also the most expensive. If it is serious work I would go with VMWare if at all possible.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

I replied to  your printplanet.com post. Use a VM, much more flexible.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

pspdfppdfxhd

:drunk3: i am doing remote desktop to use sevaral pcs in our place, works great, if you have pcs

johnny_jay

We have 3 iMacs with VM Ware running Windows 7. I will agree with Joe to get as much RAM as possible and allow enough room for the Virtual HD. It runs very good on all 3 machines.

We have two different networks in house, one for Prinergy and one corporate. We have the machines set up so that Ethernet is for the Prinergy network and WiFi for corporate (email and time capture).
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert