Cable slowdown_possible reasons

Started by frailer, November 04, 2010, 05:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Quote from: frailer on November 05, 2010, 07:27:48 PM
Quote from: Syphon on November 05, 2010, 05:49:23 PMFrailer, didn't I read that Australia's government was going to spend a ton of money on upgrading the web there?

Oh, and touched you noticed, Syphon.  Australia would be off most USers radar, correct?   :laugh:  I bet you saw our red-headed Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, talking to Hilary on the box recently.  I think they pretty much hit it off. PM told Hilary that her visit here, "will be fun".  Planning to go to a Chipmunks Club?   :undecided:

Yea most USers wouldn't care what's going on Down Under, but I am just curious how or if it will happen. I just wonder if they would do the same here. It seems those countries that have the best internet have government stepping in  instead of leaving it to the private sector to build. But around here it seems the internet keeps slowing down but keeps costing more. Its kind of like my cable bill; I keep paying more for the same number of channels but there is less to watch.

As for Hiillary, I doubt if she goes to the Chipmunk Club, it would be bad image for the future president of the US. It would give those conservative god-fearing gun-carrying Republicans ammo.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

On infrastructure that large, who knows what's best. Govt. run sounds good, but money gets wasted either way.    :undecided:

No, Hilary would be smarter than Clinton on that front, I'm sure.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

The US lags behind a lot of countries as far as broadband goes. The government and some ISP's are looking to segregate the net and charge you more for "premium" sites. Sounds a lot like the crap the cable people are doing.

It's nice that the Aus. government wants to get the net everywhere but it will be at the cost of censorship. They want to control what you can read and access. Bet that the same reason the US gov wants to do it here as well. The people in power will always do their best to control the media their serfs view. Makes it a lot easier to control the sheep when you're feeling them the info you want.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on November 08, 2010, 08:25:10 AMThe US lags behind a lot of countries as far as broadband goes. The government and some ISP's are looking to segregate the net and charge you more for "premium" sites. Sounds a lot like the crap the cable people are doing.

It's nice that the Aus. government wants to get the net everywhere but it will be at the cost of censorship. They want to control what you can read and access. Bet that the same reason the US gov wants to do it here as well. The people in power will always do their best to control the media their serfs view. Makes it a lot easier to control the sheep when you're feeling them the info you want.

It's a mixed bag. Unfortunately, our Telecommunications Minister, Steven Conroy, is a half-wit. Sometimes the way of things. He has taken a knee-jerk response to censorship. It won't achieve what they want, but just disrupt other legit web traffic. (Like the gems that get posted here...   :laugh: ). Must say, I lean in favour of the Fed Govt. overseeing the whole infrastructuer upgrade thing. But you could argue until the cows come home.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Trust me, I was going back and forth while typing that. Personally I want the government to be out of life as much as possible. Beware of a government that provides everything, they can take it away just as easily.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I just wanted to throw in a "doomed" here. That is all, carry on.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ratintrap

Quote from: Joe on November 04, 2010, 05:31:32 PM
Quote from: frailer on November 04, 2010, 05:05:36 PMHere's as good as anywhere. We have relatively slow internet here, even on cable. But suddenly, last night, big slowdown, continuing into this morning. Could be the ISP, which is our 'giant', Bigpond. Or could be something else. Other than accessing the modem interface, (new modem, haven't researched that yet), is there another way of clocking upload/download speed? An OSX freebie app of some sort?

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/

or this . . .

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/