Google History

Started by Joe, February 26, 2012, 11:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Clear your Google Web History before the big privacy change

Do you know if Google is tracking your Web activity? If you have a Google account (for, say, Gmail) and have not specifically located and paused the Web History setting, then the search giant is keeping track of your searches and the sites you visited. This data has been separated from other Google products, but on March 1 it will be shared across all of the Google products you use when Google's new privacy policy goes into effect.

If you'd like to prevent Google from combining this potentially sensitive data with the information it has collected from your YouTube, Google+, and other Google accounts, you can remove your Web History and stop it from being recorded moving forward.

After signing into your Google account, go to Google History in your browser. (Alternatively, you can choose Account Settings from the pull-down menu in the upper-right corner of a Google product such as Gmail, Google+, or Google.com. From the Account Settings page, scroll down to the Services header and click on the "Go to web history" link.) If your Web History is enabled, you'll see a list of recent searches and sites visited. Click the gray Remove all Web History button at the top of the page and a subsequent OK button to clear your Web History.

This action also pauses the Web History feature so that it will no longer track your Web searches and whereabouts. If you'd like to fire it back up, simply click the blue Resume button. ~ Matt Elliott

When I checked mine I found Google had a web history on me dating back to 2006. Every Google Search and web site I visited while logged into google over the last 6 years was in there. :shocked:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Have no account with gmail, Goo+ or Goodotcom. Does this mean I'm unaffected, for now?    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

The car shop uses Gmail but my friend is smart enough to have shut that off when he set it up.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I'm done with them. Stopped using my gmail account about a month ago, switched over to gmx to use as my online email account.

Remember when the internet used to be fun & dumb? Now it's just dumb.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2012, 09:53:40 AMI was thinking of trying GMX but the reviews not good.

http://email.about.com/u/r/od/freeemailreviews/gr/gmx_mail.htm

A lot of those reviews sound like "operator error" scenarios. What do you want for free? I've been using it for a few weeks now - email comes in, email goes out, so it does what it's supposed to do. I only use it as my junk account anyway.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Recently took up fastmail for my webmail. Decidied on (pretty much a nominal) fee/subscription. No ads, good filtering, high limits, works really well. Just didn't feel like jumping into the gmail pool...  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

It's against my religion to pay for webmail. :tongue:

gnubler

Agreed. There's so many free services out there I don't feel inclined to pay for one. If I can send & receive email that's good enough for me. I only use it for junk stuff and use my personal domain/hosting for "real" emails with "real" people.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2012, 02:31:32 PMIt's against my religion to pay for webmail. :tongue:
True... it's like parking and sex. Why pay, when if you hunt around you can get it for free?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Atheists use free webmail, too, without even a second thought or any sort of self-inflicted guilt whatsoever.

frailer

My (somewhat timid) contention is that you 'pay' in other ways. Via a thousand tiny cuts.  :shrug:  As I said, to all intents and porpoises, it's a very nominal fee.  Fastmail is clutter-free, fast, large storage. And reasonably secure; if the reviews are to be believed.    Just sayin'  (©david)

frailer

gnubler