News:

Main Menu

Boxee Box

Started by DigiCorn, November 28, 2011, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I guess it's just me but I prefer to sort mine into individual folders. Like a TV Shows folder with sub-folders inside for each TV show. Movies I do just dump into a Movies folder.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Tried setting up Roksbox last night on Roku, but found that PlayOn was easier and better. Used DVDFab to make .mkvs of some Vuze downloads, and they played without issue.

Well, there was one issue. A certain American film based on a famous Swedish book had Swedish subtitles I couldn't make go away. Probably need to reRIP and uncheck the subtitles box when making my .mkv.

My movies just sit loose on my NAS in  folder marked "Videos"

I still want to set up Roksbox, though, because I don't want to have to leave my computer on to watch anything other than live sports. If Roksbox can play directly from the NAS, then I'm set.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2012, 12:28:03 PMTried setting up Roksbox last night on Roku, but found that PlayOn was easier and better. Used DVDFab to make .mkvs of some Vuze downloads, and they played without issue.

Well, there was one issue. A certain American film based on a famous Swedish book had Swedish subtitles I couldn't make go away. Probably need to reRIP and uncheck the subtitles box when making my .mkv.

I still want to set up Roksbox, though, because I don't want to have to leave my computer on to watch anything other than live sports. If Roksbox can play directly from the NAS, then I'm set.

Is it plugged into the Roku or on the network? If it's on the network you will have to setup up a web server on the NAS (if your NAS software will allow it) and have the web server feed the Roku. If your NAS won't allow it you will have to plug your NAS into your Roku.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on March 01, 2012, 12:35:46 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2012, 12:28:03 PMTried setting up Roksbox last night on Roku, but found that PlayOn was easier and better. Used DVDFab to make .mkvs of some Vuze downloads, and they played without issue.

Is it plugged into the Roku or on the network? If it's on the network you will have to setup up a web server on the NAS (if your NAS software will allow it) and have the web server feed the Roku. If your NAS won't allow it you will have to plug your NAS into your Roku.
It's just on the network, not plugged in to the Roku. They recommended Mongoose, so I installed it last night, but I was unclear if I had to put Mongoose on my C drive like the instructions said, or if I needed to install to the NAS, which makes more sense. I installed only to the C drive, but I think that was a mistake.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on March 01, 2012, 12:12:27 PMI guess it's just me but I prefer to sort mine into individual folders. Like a TV Shows folder with sub-folders inside for each TV show. Movies I do just dump into a Movies folder.

boxee will do that for you. Leaves you more time to watch Real Housewives of Southern Illinois :)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2012, 12:41:55 PM

It's just on the network, not plugged in to the Roku. They recommended Mongoose, so I installed it last night, but I was unclear if I had to put Mongoose on my C drive like the instructions said, or if I needed to install to the NAS, which makes more sense. I installed only to the C drive, but I think that was a mistake.

If you install it to your C: drive you will have to point your document root folder to the NAS where your media lives. And you will have to leave your PC running to keep the web server alive. If it will let you install the web server, I prefer Apache, on your NAS I would go that route. Hell, it's very possible your NAS already has a web server on it and you would just need to copy your media library to the web server document root folder.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on March 01, 2012, 12:57:00 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2012, 12:41:55 PM

If you install it to your C: drive you will have to point your document root folder to the NAS where your media lives. And you will have to leave your PC running to keep the web server alive. If it will let you install the web server, I prefer Apache, on your NAS I would go that route. Hell, it's very possible your NAS already has a web server on it and you would just need to copy your media library to the web server document root folder.
Supposedly it already does have it's own web server, but I don't know how to point to it. Apache was also recommended, but they strongly pushed Mongoose. The directions were pretty lousy, and for someone doing this for the first time, I got cornfused.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Assuming the OS of the NAS is Linux and assuming you have the ability to browse through all directories of the OS...the document root might be in /var/www or var/htdocs or some variation but the web server root is usually in the var folder. If you can find out what the OS and version of OS is I might be able to give you some info on how to set it up.

t-pat

A lot of these home NAS boxes run some sort of DLNA media server, usually Twonky.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Roku has no direct DLNA that I know of, but there are plenty of third party apps out there. I reRIP'd a movie to get rid of foreign subtitles, and now all my local media is out of sync. The audio is about 3 seconds before the video. I may give up using PlayOn for local media and go back to trying to make Roksbox work, or try Plex.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Plugged in the external drive and it works. Looks like I'll have to redo my directory structure to make it easier to navigate and do a fair amount of transcoding. That will give me an excuse to fire up the big box.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

this is how this always ends up, some day it'll all "just work"
vdp donkey

Farabomb

I expected it. I have tons of .avi's but not all that many .mkv files. Now I have an excuse to buy a 3tb external for backup and dedicate the 2tb just to the roku... or use one of the flooded HDDs I have just to see how long they survive.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job