News:

Main Menu

Cache corruption?

Started by frailer, October 03, 2013, 02:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

In-house dezinger in meltdown; late-running publication.
Has some spreads in an Indy doc that have the Placed image(s) running up and over past the pasteboard. In others, the tops of the pages are 'cut off'. She says that when Exported, the PDFs look OK. Shots below...

Have suggested she try and create the problem spreads in a different doc., then re-combine.
 Any suggestions, in the interim?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

OK, email in... Here's the text. Pics a WIP... up soon.  27" iMac, Indy CS6 CC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Marmaduke,

Thanks so much for your (much needed) helping hand.

Attached are some screen grabs of what we were talking about.
The first one shows you the cut-off document and the others show the crazy huge paste board.
I have taken a few screen grabs which show the same thing but I thought it better to do that.

I have tried troubleshooting various things:
I have tried selecting everything and cutting all the elements off to try and get the whole spread back on the board.
I have tried starting a new document and pasting the elements on the new spread but it does the same thing –it cuts the spread again.

I suspect one of the links may be corrupt but that doesn't explain the issue of the huge pasteboard on the other spreads.

When I was looking on the web, one of the suggestions was that there may be a rogue element on the paste board but nothing was showing up when I selected everything.

Thanks Marmaduke.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Clicking on each pic will enlarge in smugmug. if that helps....

frailer

Have given her the link to the thread. Be nice.   :police:

Joe

Hard to diagnose without the ID doc but the first thing I would do is to reboot the iMac and then open it again and see if it is still doing it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Only talked briefly with her on the way home, but I think I asked them some time back to load applejack on their iMacs (pretty sure they're on 10.6.x). They've been through 27" iMac horrors on 2 of them about a year ago, but are back to running OK, AFAIK.
I'll talk to her again in the morning 1st thing. I just assumed, but probably shouldn't have, that she may have done that already.
Possible corrupt Prefs; Indy?

I'll bet her to send me the ZIP'd ID doc.

almaink

What version of Indy is she using and does she have newer versions installed?  Quitting the application and restarting fixes the problem most times for me. Sometimes I need to open them in a newer version, and if it opens correctly export back using an interchange file to reopen in the older version. No idea what causes this problem tho, and these two solutions have always worked for me, so I've never bothered looking into why it happens.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Tracy

I noticed there are a few master pages, can't see if their applied

Grimace

I've seen a similar issue when i accidentally pasted a huge jpeg into my text box. The Image was still on my clip board and I had forgotten about it.
All my text disappeared though. I wonder if there is some sort of overset text(accidental return key hold down) that is just not showing up with select all. A clipping mask may be hiding it. Just to see if anything is hiding, try deleting all the clipping masks and see if anything shows up then.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Grimace on October 03, 2013, 08:31:36 AMI've seen a similar issue when i accidentally pasted a huge jpeg into my text box. The Image was still on my clip board and I had forgotten about it.
All my text disappeared though. I wonder if there is some sort of overset text(accidental return key hold down) that is just not showing up with select all. A clipping mask may be hiding it. Just to see if anything is hiding, try deleting all the clipping masks and see if anything shows up then.
:goodpost:

For this exact reason I turn on show frames, remove all guides, and I then I delete all "hidden" PB items in my prep stage. Unlock all layers; A select all will hopefully find those things unseen. This is common when people drag-and-drop from :shudder: Word, and don't pay attention.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Quote from: almaink on October 03, 2013, 06:18:18 AMWhat version of Indy is she using and does she have newer versions installed?

Current Indy CS6 CC, AFAIK.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 03, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
Quote from: almaink on October 03, 2013, 06:18:18 AMWhat version of Indy is she using and does she have newer versions installed?

Current Indy CS6 CC, AFAIK.

CS6 Indy and CC Indy are two different versions. You can't open a normal .indd CC Indy file in CS6 Indy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

almaink

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david