Multi level dies

Started by Farabomb, October 03, 2016, 10:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

here's a link with some vids showing the creation process for some of these dies.

http://www.metalmagic.com/#welcome
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

After looking at that I can see where It's both. If it's all fancy then I can see where you need the engraver's skill. This isn't like that. It's basic forms, basically line art that lends itself to CNC machining. I really think it's a combination of ignorant sales staff and designers that may not take the substrate into account when designing it.

I definitely wouldn't mind working at that place tough. There's like more than one person in a department, shipping doesn't look like a bomb hit it (though reusing the same shot for the ending of the vid makes me think they cleaned it just for that). Is that what a real shop looks like?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Very Kool, I think I would like that job also!

G_Town

We u
Quote from: david on October 17, 2016, 08:13:51 AMhere's a link with some vids showing the creation process for some of these dies.

http://www.metalmagic.com/#welcome

We use them from time to time. Normal Multi level emboss we send vector as different colors. Sculpted embossing we let the die maker handle it.

bluekivi

I used to work for a diemaker and the way we did it was with four images. First level had all the levels, second had the next three deepest, third had the two deepest, and finally the deepest level on it's own. So, the metal was imaged and etched four seperate times, getting deeper with each etch.

Tracy

aha that kinda makes sense!
How do they get the image on there, and is it removed chemically?

Farabomb

Bluekivi, how did you want your files from the customer though? Did you have a imaging department to create what you needed? The guys I deal with can barley open a zip file, I'm serious. One place refused to accept a ziped file, refused to even attempt to open it. Having to teach them how to log onto a FTP is a day I've been trying hard to forget.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

bluekivi

They paint the surface with a light sensitive coating, expose it with the film, develop it to wash away the appropriate area, etch and repeat..... I was the guy who created the film (yes, old school film.....) as multi-level usually. Never done it digitally. If you are able to make film positives, just set them up as explained above or ask your diemaker what he needs to do it. The place we use now, still images with film but use an imagesetter now instead of a camera or vacuum frames. So, I guess if I had to do it now, I would just give them pdfs of solid black with the method described in my previous post.

Tracy

Thanks for the info, I think that would be fun!
yeah, I'm a goofball :laugh:

andyfest

Our emboss diemaker can accept digital files instead of film now, but they are pretty well ahead of the curve when it comes to digital. I can't believe there are still emboss diemakers that still need film to etch with. I don't think there's a place within 100 miles of here that still outputs film!
:cane:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

born2print

Best we can do is an epson on clear material, it isn't as good as film for sure, so luckily our vendors all take PDF of .ai files.

#nofilmhere
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

we can do film here, we use it for etch dies and silkscreens.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca