News:

Main Menu

Retrospect revisited

Started by DigiCorn, January 10, 2012, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 11, 2012, 12:17:54 PMIf it was a 2TB SSD I'd probably feel safe with archiving permanently to that... but for long term, I still like going cheaper with blu-ray and burning redundant copies. In reality, they only have to last me a few years before the art gets updated and/or replaced and becomes obsolete. I rarely pull a job from more than 5 years ago.

I pull jobs from 10 to 15 years ago on occasion off CD or DVD. No problem at all. I don't have one single HD that has lasted more then 5 years. They all start clicking after awhile. SSD is something that is a pipe dream at this point. I would seriously consider switching, but only after the price comes WAY down.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 11, 2012, 12:17:54 PMIf it was a 2TB SSD I'd probably feel safe with archiving permanently to that... but for long term, I still like going cheaper with blu-ray and burning redundant copies. In reality, they only have to last me a few years before the art gets updated and/or replaced and becomes obsolete. I rarely pull a job from more than 5 years ago.

Blu-ray isn't cheaper. A 10 pack of 50 gb TDK disks is $78 (no name disks can be found cheaper). I can buy a 500 gb hard drive for $50.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

You don't have a local Fry's. I can get no-name for about $25-35 for 10 and brand name for a little bit more.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2012, 12:23:01 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on January 11, 2012, 12:17:54 PMIf it was a 2TB SSD I'd probably feel safe with archiving permanently to that... but for long term,I still like going cheaper with blu-ray and burning redundant copies. In reality, they only have to last me a few years before the art gets updated and/or replaced and becomes obsolete. I rarely pull a job from more than 5 years ago.

Blu-ray isn't cheaper. A 10 pack of 50 gb TDK disks is $78 (no name disks can be found cheaper). I can buy a 500 gb hard drive for $50.

I just bought 8, 1Tb drives for 48 bucks each.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Click-Click-BOOM!
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

@ david - where'd you get those? I bought myself a Hitachi internal 1TB from TigerDirect a year ago, and it was over $100.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

If they're Maxtors you couldn't pay me to take them for free.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

I am really wary of Maxtor, Seagate and WD. I like the Hitachis. With the typhoon or whatever in Thailand, our local Fry's is jacking up the prices of HDs while optical media prices are dropping. They also only sell one HD to a customer until the shortage ends.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Here we go with the eternal HD debate.

It's like deja vu...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 11, 2012, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 12:27:56 PMClick-Click-BOOM!

When is your first show? I am dying to visit OKC.

I am working way too many hours to dedicate the time. I'm not too happy about it. Once things settle down, I'll finish up.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: david on January 11, 2012, 12:25:49 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on January 11, 2012, 12:17:54 PMIf it was a 2TB SSD I'd probably feel safe with archiving permanently to that... but for long term,I still like going cheaper with blu-ray and burning redundant copies. In reality, they only have to last me a few years before the art gets updated and/or replaced and becomes obsolete. I rarely pull a job from more than 5 years ago.

I just bought 8, 1Tb drives for 48 bucks each.

I saw those prices before the Thailand floods but everything I see now is higher than that. Where did you get those from?

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 11, 2012, 12:25:06 PMYou don't have a local Fry's. I can get no-name for about $25-35 for 10 and brand name for a little bit more.

Are those 25 gb or 50 gb? The cheapest no-name I found with a guick search was $45 for the 50 gb disks.

Farabomb

I can send you a maxtor that's 10 years old, shit I have a pair of them. Used them on many gaming machine builds in a RAID array system drive. I liked small, fast drives for the boot/system drives and they work to this day. Haven't had issue with any major manufacturer except IBM and their "deathstar" 120g drives. They got out of the game and sold that division to.... Hitachi. For that reason and that reason only I will avoid buying any Hitachi drives. WD and Seagate are my main 2 and since prices are so low I don't have to consider maxtors mainly becasue of others hatred of them.

I will say again, treat them well and HDDs last. I have 3 that were under water and now I might get a dock just to see if they still work.

Cheaping out on your optical media for backups is asking for trouble. They are cheap for a reason.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2012, 12:46:42 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on January 11, 2012, 12:25:06 PMYou don't have a local Fry's. I can get no-name for about $25-35 for 10 and brand name for a little bit more.

Are those 25 gb or 50 gb? The cheapest no-name I found with a guick search was $45 for the 50 gb disks.
25gb
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway