Next OS Sierra will drop support for many 07-09 Macs

Started by Possum, June 13, 2016, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

Quote from: Ear on December 02, 2016, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: born2print on December 02, 2016, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: david on December 02, 2016, 01:17:47 PMI have 16 gb on my Mac now and it seems pretty fast, unless you are doing 10,000 barcodes...    :hangme:
A job exactly like that, 60,000 ish barcodes and data merge too, is what made obvious to us that RAM was not the deciding factor on speed. We split it up onto 4 different stations and processor was all that seemed to matter. Faster processor meant around twice as fast or better.
YMMV.

Aside from the processor, did you get to do any comparison on Solid State (flash) hard drive vs a standard ATA drive?

Data is mostly transfer and processing, probably not a lot of RAM necessary, since it isn't actively rendering something, it might not be using even the full 8gb.
Actually we sort of did, the solid state macs were faster, BUT the standard mac was kinda hammered and has seen a 2-3 fold performance increase after that job (when we wiped it and did fresh install of Yosemite)... but we did not redo that specific test 'cause the job was done (and so were we, lol)
so conclusion, not a conclusive test but we may infer that the type of drive may not have mattered.
maybe.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

The difference between an SSD HD and Flash Storage is that an SSD HD is connected via SATA while Flash Storage is through PCIe which makes it faster because PCIe is faster than SATA. That is what I am shooting for too. They usually make us go for the low end of the price spectrum but this time I want an i7 CPU, Retina display, and Flash storage. And as much RAM as I can get. I'm going to shoot for the stars and hope I at least get to the moon.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

That's exactly my train of thought. I can put 64 gigs in this thing, but it would be fairly expensive, since I would have to ditch the original 16gb... and the single 16gb sticks are expensive, especially for 4 of them...

I started by building one and getting approval for the full price, around $3400 I think... Then I camped on the refurbished Apple section for 2 days, until I found one that was close. I had already priced the RAM, so I knew my range. Ended up getting what I wanted for $2800 +$109 for RAM and still came out ahead. AND I got Adobe CC on a Black Friday special and did a prepay... saved a couple more bennies. Always helps to come in under what you propose, I think. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

BTW... the Adobe Cyber Monday sale ends today, Dec 2. I know it's late notice but I got the FULL Creative Cloud, prepaid year for $480.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

... because I also just purchased a MacBook Pro, Flash SD, 15 inch, i7 with a bunch of RAM and the full CC. 

Boss' daughter is in her early 20s and really wants to get into the graphic side of the business. They asked me to set her up, so I bought her a fat little production laptop. I told her she needs to spend at least a year doing all of my design tasks before we get into prepress stuff. Chicka is getting set up FAT.

She's a sharp one.... and she is interested, so it should be a hoot. LOLZ Still, it is fun Mac shopping.  :afro:

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Ear

Not sure if this has been touched on yet, or if this is even a good place for it (have been crazy busy with upgrades n stuff) but it definitely needs to be shared.

My Sierra Workflow (XMF) client on the new Mac OS Sierra would quit allowing admin access, after every job or two. After a day of being annoyed, I asked tech support (gasp) and they showed me a new Mac OS setting called App Nap. It powers down Apps, for energy and performance savings, but it apparently causes a problem with the remote client connection.

Go to Applications and Get Info on the Application (Sierra App in my case). Info shows the evidence of this new devilry, with a button labeled Prevent App Nap... it begs to be clicked. Problem solved. I figured this default might cause problems with other Apps, and possibly even server connections.

Possum

Oh, the new improvements (impediments) that they don't tell you about. Just shows you, Apple is all for the average consumer, they don't think about people who actually work for a living and may have to connect stuff to their products.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

It sounds like something geared towards a mobile user, rather than desktop.

The new Macbook pro, just like your iPhone but with a keyboard!

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 28, 2016, 09:18:51 AMAnd no headphone jack.

Now now...the MacBook Pro still has the 3.5 mm headphone jack.

And don't forget that wonderfull invention the Touch Bar. But only if you pay extra.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Just what I needed, a screen for my function keys I barely use. The 2 best things I've seen for it was someone ported Doom onto it and someone else has the lemmings on it. Otherwise, pretty damn useless.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Quote from: Ear on December 27, 2016, 06:18:03 PMNot sure if this has been touched on yet, or if this is even a good place for it (have been crazy busy with upgrades n stuff) but it definitely needs to be shared.

My Sierra Workflow (XMF) client on the new Mac OS Sierra would quit allowing admin access, after every job or two. After a day of being annoyed, I asked tech support (gasp) and they showed me a new Mac OS setting called App Nap. It powers down Apps, for energy and performance savings, but it apparently causes a problem with the remote client connection.

Go to Applications and Get Info on the Application (Sierra App in my case). Info shows the evidence of this new devilry, with a button labeled Prevent App Nap... it begs to be clicked. Problem solved. I figured this default might cause problems with other Apps, and possibly even server connections.
Thanks Ear, I will bookmark for when I upgrade to Sierra