Can't rename file to requirement.

Started by frailer, January 26, 2012, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Need to rename a file to 'FUJI:Spot2.pdf' from 'FUJI_Spot2.pdf.  This is the programmed convention that allows XMF to pick up the Spots in a job, instead of having to copy and change the Spot in PitStop. easier/quicker, is all.

Anyone know why OSX doesn't like the 1st name, with the colon? (see screenshot).

On 10.6.8
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Because a colon is an illegal character. :smileycop:

As is / \ ; ' " ! # % & * ( ) `

You might get away with some of them on some file systems but other file systems will puke up  most punctuation marks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Senior Moment.   :embarrassed:  Was meant to be naming the Spot itself, not the PDF file name.    :laugh:  Open a copy in Illy, >Swatches Palette, choose another spot, name it FUJI:Spot(x). All good.  :shhh:

Farabomb

I love that prinergy will refine a file with an illegal character then preps throws a error that is no help.

I only kick myself when I don't go and look at the filename first.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job