Who uses DropBox website/file sharing?

Started by frailer, February 29, 2012, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Using DropBox site for file send/receive?

Often
5 (33.3%)
Occasionally
9 (60%)
Never
1 (6.7%)
What's DropBox?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 07, 2012, 09:21:15 PM

frailer

Am getting to use it again. HeadOffice harbour a resistance to it cos you gotta 'sign up'... horror of horrors. OK, they have FTP, but YouSendIt seems to be the love of their life. For 1 thing, 100MB file size limit. DB's is 300MB.
Curious as to whether others here use it much.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Almost never. Just when you send me something. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 29, 2012, 09:26:19 PMAlmost never. Just when you send me something. :laugh:
:laugh:

.......thing is, once you're signed up, a 1 minute procedure, receiving files from other DB users leaves YouSendIt in the dust. Apart from them doing some self-promo, and tempting you to upgrade, no pesky ads like SendSpace and YSI. Just sayin'
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Slappy

I use it tons for personal file syncing, sharing. And if I could loosen the purse strings of the stupid Mgmt, I'd move all of our clients over to it instead of FTP, that shit is antiquated & cumbersome.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 29, 2012, 10:45:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 29, 2012, 09:26:19 PMAlmost never. Just when you send me something. :laugh:
:laugh:

.......thing is, once you're signed up, a 1 minute procedure, receiving files from other DB users leaves YouSendIt in the dust. Apart from them doing some self-promo, and tempting you to upgrade, no pesky ads like SendSpace and YSI. Just sayin'

I'll admit it does work like a champ. I just don't send much stuff out and all of our customers upload their stuff through Kodak Insite.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

I only use it when someone can't understand how to log onto my FTP site (which is a clikable web link with a username/password), it's REALLY hard...

dumbasses
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I use it only for personal stuff. I meet the same resistance at work becasue of the sign-in. Customers too dense to understand FTP want everything done for them. Clicky linky, get file and maybe pick up a trojan from a crappy ad. Viruses are not their problem, it's IT's job.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

StudioMonkey

I use it all the time and I much prefer it to YouSendIt.  Its painless to register and use. 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

Quote from: StudioMonkey on March 01, 2012, 08:32:02 AMI use it all the time and I much prefer it to YouSendIt.  Its painless to register and use. 

Explaining this to my brain dead customers is the painful part.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

I was surprised to see anyone positive about Dropbox, maybe my experiences are tainted by the particular folks that make us use theirs? To me it is a PITA compared to FTP, Yousendit, MassTransit...
:shrug:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

born2print

For one thing, they forget to tell us the correct logon criteria and we search the "usual" (wrong) site instead of the "secret" one for files.  :shoots_self:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Farabomb

I'm with you. FTP is easy for me, hell I used to connect through command line back in the day.

I'd rather FTP info with the exact syntax of the files I need or maybe something simple like a zip file if there are multiple folders but that's not possible with most designers. It's normally 3-4 emails to get all the login info. Then it's on to the scavenger hunt once you get access.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I think FTP is easy peasy but just recently, using dropbox quite often. A lot of clients prefer using it. Used to love Sendspace but it has turned into a turd in the last year.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Quote from: born2print on March 01, 2012, 11:09:40 AMFor one thing, they forget to tell us the correct logon criteria and we search the "usual" (wrong) site instead of the "secret" one for files.  :shoots_self:

Oh, you guys too. Just went through that yesterday. Finally they ditched the unworkable link, and out the proper one up. 'sokay, got nothing better to do.   :banghead:

Slappy

Quote from: born2print on March 01, 2012, 11:09:40 AMFor one thing, they forget to tell us the correct logon criteria and we search the "usual" (wrong) site instead of the "secret" one for files.  :shoots_self:
I think the problem is people treat it like it's an FTP, and it's not. Shared Folders, the only way to fly, I'm too lazy to find the thread on how to set them up, but it's around here some place & it's butt simple. You should never have to use another person's login, or go looking for files if it's done right.

Client copies/moves file archive to a folder that's Shared with you in their Dropbox locally, and then it just appears in yours. Boom.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.