Separating reader spreads PDF in single page PDF
by Andy
November 20, 2014, 10:23:59 AM

wink
QuarkXPress Document Converter
by hotmetal
November 19, 2014, 09:29:21 PM

User Info

Welcome to B4Print.com. Please login or register.

Top Poster

gnubler gnubler
28,252 Posts
Joe Joe
28,213 Posts
DigitalCrapShoveler DigitalCrapShoveler
22,607 Posts
david david
13,048 Posts
Ear Ear
12,885 Posts

Forum Staff

Admin Admin
Administrator
Joe Joe
Administrator
david david
Global Moderator
frailer frailer
Global Moderator

Topic: 508 compliance (Read 3080 times) previous topic - next topic

• jimking
508 compliance
I just received two pdfs with directions to "Please make adjustments for 508 compliance for web access" Can someone please tell me what this means and how to achieve 508 compliance? These pdfs appear to be 80 page 8.5x11 books. All in RGB including text. It seems "Please make adjustments for 508 compliance for web access" I should trouble shoot these files in order to upload to a website? Lost on this.

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Re: 508 compliance
Reply #1
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #2
Hhahaah, dejá-vu?

Actually, this looks better.

http://fetchsoftworks.com/fetch/section508
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #3
Here is another read, it explains what 508 compliance is... Not sure what you have to do to make it this way, yet. Stand by.

http://www.mitem.com/solutions/industry/government/508.asp
  • Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:31:44 PM by DigitalCrapShoveler

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #4
It would appear it is making the PDF accessible for the disabled. This is what you have to do:

In order to meet the needs of the disabled, all forms should have the following capabilities:

A screen reader should have access to the value and `prompt' for each item, so that a blind or low vision user can hear it. In this paper that is referred to as the 'speakable prompt'.

All functionality should be accessible from the keyboard only, so that a user does not have to manipulate a mouse or other pointer device.

All color usage should be under the control of the user, so that a low vision or color blind user can see all of the content.

There should be no reliance on timed functions, so that a user does not need to respond in a set amount of time.

Flashing or animations should be avoided, or if present allow a mode that disables them.

• jimking
Reply #5

Hhahaah, dejá-vu?

dejá-vu all right, not again....... ... What tools are needed to accomplish this?

• david
  • Global Moderator
  • Avast! Ye scurvy dog!
Reply #6
I would think that all the work we do should be like that...

especially all the jobs on press

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Premedia Supervisor / Systems Manager
Mac -  OS X10.8.5   3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • PC - Windows 7
Esko-Artworks Suite 7 R6 • Prinergy V5.3.01 with Preps 6
HP 5000 • Epson 9900 • Epson 7900 • Kodak Approval XP • Lotem 800 Platesetters • Kodak FlexCel • Xerox 700

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #7

Hhahaah, dejá-vu?

dejá-vu all right, not again....... ... What tools are needed to accomplish this?

Shit, I don't know. It's print, not an interactive trip though Druggachussetts. I say, leave it. If you can't read RGB type in a PDF on screen, maybe you can't see? I don't know how you are supposed to fix it. I mean, it sounds to me like another problem thrown on Prepress because no one else can figure it out.

• jimking
Reply #8

Hhahaah, dejá-vu?

Shit, I don't know. It's print, not an interactive trip though Druggachussetts. I say, leave it. If you can't read RGB type in a PDF on screen, maybe you can't see? I don't know how you are supposed to fix it. I mean, it sounds to me like another problem thrown on Prepress because no one else can figure it out.

It's a government bid job. They provided the pdfs only to make them comply and send back. So its not a print job its a compliance job. Now, I'm really confused.

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #9
The second link I posted talks about software for making PDFs 508 compliant. I just don't really see how that is in your job description. I'm not even sure how to do it, or check it. Very unconventional job.

Try this...

http://www.pdfzone.com/c/a/Utilities/How-to-make-PDFs-compliant-with-Section-508/

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #10
Apparently Acrobat has an Accessibility Checker... go to the Advanced Menu/Accessibilty/Set Up Assistant.

• jimking
Reply #11
Thanks DCS. I think it would be wise to talk to one of their reps but dealing with the fed over two tired pdfs isn't worth it. I did learn something and I'm also bouncing this job. Thanks again.

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #12

Thanks DCS. I think it would be wise to talk to one of their reps but dealing with the fed over two tired pdfs isn't worth it. I did learn something and I'm also bouncing this job. Thanks again.

I learned something, too. Not a bad deal. Good luck Bro. And I have a consolation prize for you...

• DigitalCrapShoveler
  • Mighty Joe's Son
Reply #13
Those chicks are STARVING! I hate seeing hungry people. :laugh:

• jimking
Reply #14
You're cruel.  :laugh: