News:

Main Menu

InDesign 5.5

Started by frailer, May 20, 2011, 06:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: gnubler on May 27, 2011, 08:59:52 AMThere may be a sober prepresser, you know. Somewhere...

I don't know where...  :laugh:

Do I qualify? I only drink at night. (all night)

gnubler

Is that a Canadian thing?

Oh wait, you're in prepress...nvm.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 16, 2011, 09:12:40 AM
Quote from: gnubler on May 27, 2011, 08:59:52 AMThere may be a sober prepresser, you know. Somewhere...

I'm usually sober when I wake up....
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: david on June 16, 2011, 10:36:56 AM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 16, 2011, 09:12:40 AM

I'm usually sober when I wake up....

Sometime I'm not :drunk3:

Ear

Okay... one annoyance with Indy in CS 5.5... There is no progress indicator during PDF export. You don't know when the stupid thing is finished exporting... click on the PDF and says it's corrupt. Wait a minute and try again. Eventually, it finishes and opens but it's a guessing game. I have had more than one client freak out, thinking it is not exporting until I explain it to them. WTF, Adobe?!?! Fail.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

That sounds lame. They probably needed to use some extra ones & zeroes to program the awesome new ebook feature or whatever crap they've bundled in, so the most basic of features will suffer.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Ya, it's lame for sure. It seems a very retarded change to make. Maybe the guy testing the export feature only does a single page and thinks it's so lightening fast that we no longer need to see progress.  :huh: I mean, I have a new, fast puter but when you get into large page-count documents, it's always going to take some time. It feels like cooking a pizza with no timer... you just have to keep opening the oven and looking every minute or so until it's finished cooking. Again, EPIC FAIL, ADOBE!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Have the background tasks open. Still doesn't replace the progress bar but it will tell you when it's done.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Earendil on June 27, 2011, 09:23:30 AMOkay... one annoyance with Indy in CS 5.5... There is no progress indicator during PDF export. You don't know when the stupid thing is finished exporting... click on the PDF and says it's corrupt. Wait a minute and try again. Eventually, it finishes and opens but it's a guessing game. I have had more than one client freak out, thinking it is not exporting until I explain it to them. WTF, Adobe?!?! Fail.

same in cs5. Go to window/utilities/background tasks.

The "feature" is that export is threaded and you can theoretically do other stuff while exporting, but in cs5 that has been rather sketchy ime
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Stiv

So in 5.5 the show background task has been removed?

Ear

Okay, thanks. Ya, I have seen the background task but it still kinda sucks. Messin' with people's heads it is.  :whip:

TSapp

Additional info on InDesign 5.5...  I just read on eCent that the new release of Darwin is going to be on July 5th.  It is InDesign CS5 compatible but will not work with 5.5.  They said they will be releasing a patch for 5.5 at a later time.

Tim

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on June 27, 2011, 09:44:29 AMOkay, thanks. Ya, I have seen the background task but it still kinda sucks. Messin' with people's heads it is.  :whip:
It's just plain stupid is what it is. Just put the progress bar back. I always think it's done and try to close, while something is still going on. It's a big  :salute:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Indeed. I just had to help a client troubleshoot his tabloid this morning. He was all freaked out. Just upgraded to 5.5... "I can't get this GD thing to export. It takes 2 seconds to export, but I try to open and it says it's corrupt. I trash it and try again but no luck." I told him what was up and to just give it a minute. It was a 40pg, 15" tabloid, so not a small file and was taking a few minutes even on his brand new mac.

If they're going to take it away, they could have at least made the accompanying Acroshat smart enough to say, "calm the fuck down and go make yourself a bagel and a latte, your shit is still exporting" instead of simply saying, "Document is either corrupt or a format that Acrobat bla bla...". I mean, it IS the creative SUITE, is it not? By calling it a suite, I assume these programs all work in the same little office together. Can't InDesign just poke it's little artsy fartsy head over the cubicle and tell Acrobat it isn't done exporting the file yet so user doesn't freak the hell out?

gnubler

You're a bit wordy this morning. Have you had your latte and bagel yet?

How's the fam?