September 17, 2014, 12:30:26 AM

Author Topic: InDesign Tips-N-Tricks  (Read 16578 times)

Offline DigitalCrapShoveler

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Let me know if you're a size 14
Re: InDesign Tips-N-Tricks
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »
I agree, very handy. What I wish it would do, was map process colors to spots. Like say when a customer supplies a black only file in InDesign and wants it converted to a spot. It's an easy enough fix in Pitstop, but I'd rather just click a button before output. My Pressman here are a stickler for proper color names on the plates and play the game of actually printing black just to make a point. In addition, the customer more times than not, wants to see a color proof in the spot it's supposed to be printed in.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS  

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline frailer

• S W Pacific Night Mod..and..loving it! Sydney, Australia
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Older, and digitally challenged
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »
Pasted here, in light of these lobbing  on people lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TIP: Export Images from Word Files Did you know that Word's DOCX file format is a glorified ZIP file? Change the extension to ZIP, unzip it, and you'll find all of the document's original assets, including the images as individual files in a folder. More importantly, InDesign can access the original high-resolution images when you place a DOCX file, even if they're CMYK. The older DOC format converts all images to RGB PNG files.
- Bob Levine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Alexander Bell invented the telephone he had three missed calls from Chuck Norris

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »

TIP: Export Images from Word Files Did you know that Word's DOCX file format is a glorified ZIP file? Change the extension to ZIP, unzip it, and you'll find all of the document's original assets, including the images as individual files in a folder. More importantly, InDesign can access the original high-resolution images when you place a DOCX file, even if they're CMYK. The older DOC format converts all images to RGB PNG files.
- Bob Levine

Whoa.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS  

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »

- Bob Levine

I'd be shocked to find high res CMYK files done by one of my Word customers. :laugh:

Great tip though.
Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

“Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience.” ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
I was under the assumption that most graphics in Word were just copy/pasted from a web browser. :laugh:

Where exactly are these original high-res images? I'm pretty sure they don't exist.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Offline frailer

• Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
Well, maybe you'll trip over some medium resolution images in a docx file one day. Maybe they'll be good enough for you.   :grin:
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
When Alexander Bell invented the telephone he had three missed calls from Chuck Norris

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
You're nothin' but a dreamer, Frailer.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Offline frailer

• Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 03:47:59 AM »
You're nothin' but a dreamer, Frailer.

An often self-confessed one...    :laugh:

Offline david

• Avast! Where's me
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • arrrrrrrggg....
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »

- Bob Levine

I'd be shocked to find high res CMYK files done by one of my Word customers. :laugh:

Great tip though.

scary, but I'm up to checking one out , just to see how wrong they can be.
but, then again, you never know.

Oh, that reminds me, I got a new copy of Office 2011 for Mac yesterday.
you jealous?
Premedia Supervisor / Systems Manager
Mac -  OS X10.8.5   3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • PC - Windows 7
Esko-Artworks Suite 7 R6 • Prinergy V5.3.01 with Preps 6
HP 5000 • Epson 9900 • Epson 7900 • Kodak Approval XP • Lotem 800 Platesetters • Kodak FlexCel • Xerox 700

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
Spent 3 hours with a client designing a adbook yesterday. 45 minutes of that was explaining the 2x3 72dpi image they want to use on the cover is not a good idea. Sorry to say in order to advance to another topic not involving alchemy I told him I would "photoshop it".  :death:
Fbomb, Just another uncool B4 member. One of the Glorious Assholes of prepress.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

what's a bonus?

Most places it is pronounced "bone-us".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
you jealous?

No. I leave Office where it belongs - on the PC. Word to PDF, that's all I do.

Offline david

• Avast! Where's me
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • arrrrrrrggg....
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
you jealous?

yeah, but this new version will cook Bacon!
Which new studies have shown will make you smarter.

it was my idea, well not really, but I play one on TV.
Premedia Supervisor / Systems Manager
Mac -  OS X10.8.5   3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • PC - Windows 7
Esko-Artworks Suite 7 R6 • Prinergy V5.3.01 with Preps 6
HP 5000 • Epson 9900 • Epson 7900 • Kodak Approval XP • Lotem 800 Platesetters • Kodak FlexCel • Xerox 700

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
you jealous?

I have Word on Mac... 2010. It works, and it's one more app that keeps me off a PC. For that I am grateful.

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
You can have Word and bacon. I avoid both at all costs.

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
You're anti bacon? You really are an alien. Everything is better with bacon.
Fbomb, Just another uncool B4 member. One of the Glorious Assholes of prepress.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

what's a bonus?

Most places it is pronounced "bone-us".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job