Unable to Print any PDF's from Adobe to Xerox Phaser 63060

Started by JamiB1979, November 01, 2011, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamiB1979

Hello all!

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I have two users having exactly the same issue. They both have Adobe Acrobat 9. They are trying to print various PDF's to a Xerox Phaser 6360.  The same thing happens on both PC's. They begin to print and it will just get stuck and never print. It varies on where it gets stuck at. Sometimes it will get 50% percent of the way done, sometimes it won't print at all. Just all depends on the day really. Anything else we print works perfectly fine. It's just PDF's. I'm at a loss.

I have updated their versions of Adobe to have the most current version of 9. (We can't afford to upgrade at this point). I have updated the printer driver on the print server. I just don't know what else to try.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jami

DigiCorn

I used to have an old Techtronix Phaser (now Xerox) with the same issue. How much RAM in the Phaser? It's just regular RAM so you can always add more. You also need to check the settings on the phaser. If it's like ours, it's networkable so double check that the IP address is still pingable and not dropping off the network. Static addressing is preferred to DHCP as DHCP can randomly change. Also, are you printing from Mac or Windows? If from Mac, how do you have the connection established? Appletalk? IP?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Hi Jami and Welcome to the Forums!

You don't mention what type of PDF you are printing.
Is it a 1.3, 1.4, or what? From what is the PDF made (Quark, Indesign, Publisher, etc)?
What OS is the PC?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

Can you send a simple page with "Hello" to the printers and get it to print? Sometimes as mentioned they go offline and need to be restarted (Ping idea would prove this point). If the printer responds, try ripping the PDF apart to see if an element (like transparency) if choking it.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Chilbear on November 01, 2011, 09:01:38 AMCan you send a simple page with "Hello" to the printers and get it to print? Sometimes as mentioned they go offline and need to be restarted (Ping idea would prove this point). If the printer responds, try ripping the PDF apart to see if an element (like transparency) if choking it.
The Phaser can be accessed (if you know the IP) through any networked web browser. From here you can configure settings, and do other things like assign sizing for manual feeding, run a cleaning sheet and align backup for duplex printing (if equipped).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Since you can print from other applications without issue I would rule out printer/network problems. Try placing the PDF into an InDesign document and see if it will print from there. Usually when I see an issue like this it is a printer memory problem...not enough most of the time and it usually behaves that way. No errors...the job just disappears into the nether.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Usually, it disappears when the file "times out". Like Joe says, it may need more memory.
How big MB wise are the pdf files?
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

One other thought, sometimes we get certain PDF's that sit forever or won't print at all. In that case I usually have them print the PDF as image and it typically solves the problem.

JamiB1979

Hey all!

Sorry it took me a while to get back. Work has been bananas. I work with some truly vapid people and they couldn't help themselves if they were on fire.

I believe it's regular old RAM. The issue is my company is cheap and when I say cheap, they complain when I recommend memory for PC's I have to justify why it's worth it to put memory in the PC's to get XP SP3. So adding more memory is out sadly. It has 256 right now.

Any kinda of Adobe document does this. One lady prints InDesign plan-o-grams and another just prints regular old PDF's folks send her.

I've been in the web interface
Every other app works. It seems like it can't handle the amount of data it's getting sent via Adobe.

Do y'all have any other suggestions?? Thanks for your thoughts so far!

Jami

DigiCorn

RAM is cheap. It's the backbone of your system. You should never have to justify getting more RAM. You can never have too much RAM (unless your 'puter is already at its RAM max or you run out of slots for it).

We have pdfs that won't go to our Samsung laser, but print to both our HP lasers. It's a RAM issue in our case and we simply use a different laser to output. When you say every other app works, so if you place the pdf in ID it outputs? I believe this would be because ID treats it like an image. Try what GTown suggested. The printer's RAM maybe flushing based on downloading fonts and lots of vectors and whatnot. An image prints as raster which relieves the amount of data being processed.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

JamiB1979

Digicorn,

Our biggest issue is actually with InDesign not printing out things a lady creates in it. She creates 15-20 page plan-o-grams and has nothing but issues printing them. Another just uses Reader 9 and can't print any PDF. She doesn't have InDesign available to her so she can't do put them into InDesign. I could make it a JPEG, but they are pretty hesitant to even try.

I wish I could make management understand RAM is vital but it's like hitting a brick wall. These are the same people that think that tech support and Network/Systems Administrator should be paid the same so it's pointless and since they pay me so poorly, I ain't gonna by RAM on my own.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

David,

I don't want to change the look of the plan-o-grams this lady is creating. Plus most of the things she places on these are actual pictures and not words.

Thanks for your thoughts as well.

DigiCorn

@Jami,

Ownership is going to have to open the purse strings.

Outlining fonts shouldn't change the look of it... some printers (mostly inkjets and Fierys) might make the font appear slightly heavier, but unless your font is corrupted, it shouldn't change the appearance.

Short of updating equipment, the only final thing I can suggest is on XP open the printer queue and manually drop the pdf (or save from Acrobat as a .ps and then drop the .ps file) into the open window. We used to do this with an old Xante.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

What happens if she tries to only print one page at a time from the InDesign plan-o-gram?

What resolution is your printer set to print. If it's 1200 dpi try it at 600 dpi and see if it prints.

I've seen print spooler files get way bigger than 256 mb from Indy/Acrobat. I would guess your print queue is flushing it once it runs out of memory. If so, printing fewer pages at a time might work.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.