Anybody using any Preflight software like Flightcheck . . .

Started by Lumpy, December 09, 2011, 12:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 09, 2011, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:01:09 PM
Quote from: t-pat on December 09, 2011, 03:51:02 PMand Joe - a shitload more? Don't you live in the middle of nowhere? Must be nice!

Have to have time to spend it. :laugh:

Yes, I work about 70+ hours a week right now. Still on hourly, absolutely REFUSE to make salary.
I'm hourly too... although I'm only averaging about 45 hours a week right now. Still, that's up from earlier in the year. October came along, and we got busy... and it hasn't let up at all.

I'd work for DCS if I made his money. Never mind the random chainsaw injuries and bear traps in my chair.

It's the hardest money I have ever had to make. I used to bend neon and install signs for pretty good money back in the good old days, I would never go back, but it was easy compared to Prepress.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:06:55 PM
Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 03:58:24 PMSorry to put this back on topic, but doesn't anyone use InDesign's built-in preflight? It's pretty good and you can build profiles for different circumstances.

Again, I think these tools are more for people that have no clue how to do it manually. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, we all have our own technique, but why would you ever trust a machine to do a job you specialize in? To put any credence into automation is signing your own vocational death warrant in printing.
I have several profiles set for this in ID. Most of the time, I disable it because it makes the application run too slowly, and again a lot of paranoid erroneous errors are reported. I could give a fcuk if a customer disproportionally scaled their raster file. I turn on the overprint and trust my eyes when I page through their shit.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 09, 2011, 04:09:33 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:06:55 PM
Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 03:58:24 PMSorry to put this back on topic, but doesn't anyone use InDesign's built-in preflight? It's pretty good and you can build profiles for different circumstances.

Again, I think these tools are more for people that have no clue how to do it manually. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, we all have our own technique, but why would you ever trust a machine to do a job you specialize in? To put any credence into automation is signing your own vocational death warrant in printing.
I have several profiles set for this in ID. Most of the time, I disable it because it makes the application run too slowly, and again a lot of paranoid erroneous errors are reported. I could give a fcuk if a customer disproportionally scaled their raster file. I turn on the overprint and trust my eyes when I page through their shit.

Amen.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:09:09 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on December 09, 2011, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:01:09 PM
Quote from: t-pat on December 09, 2011, 03:51:02 PMand Joe - a shitload more? Don't you live in the middle of nowhere? Must be nice!

Have to have time to spend it. :laugh:

Yes, I work about 70+ hours a week right now. Still on hourly, absolutely REFUSE to make salary.
I'm hourly too... although I'm only averaging about 45 hours a week right now. Still, that's up from earlier in the year. October came along, and we got busy... and it hasn't let up at all.

I'd work for DCS if I made his money. Never mind the random chainsaw injuries and bear traps in my chair.

It's the hardest money I have ever had to make. I used to bend neon and install signs for pretty good money back in the good old days, I would never go back, but it was easy compared to Prepress.
That's funny. I once drew "as-builts" for an electrical engineer in autocad, but later cut and applied vinyl and acrylic lettering for signs for almost no money. I too would never go back.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

NefariousDrO

Heh. I used to work retail for Barnes & Noble Bookstores. Managed their magazine department for a huge store. It wasn't great money, but I had access to alot of great stuff. Of course, along with that was being treated like crap by the customers every day didn't help my view of humanity much, either. As maddening as prepress can be, I'll take it over retail without even hesitating.

t-pat

not sure if I did quite a good enough job of derailing this topic  :lmao:

sort of regretting it now though
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on December 09, 2011, 04:36:32 PMnot sure if I did quite a good enough job of derailing this topic  :lmao:

sort of regretting it now though

No regrets on the B4, it's all good banter.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

I'd rather work triple shifts of prepress than work in retail or anything involving customer service.

There would be a fight within one day followed by me getting fired and/or arrested.

Prepress keeps me calm. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on December 09, 2011, 06:06:48 PMI'd rather work triple shifts of prepress than work in retail or anything involving customer service.

There would be a fight within one day followed by me getting fired and/or arrested.

Prepress keeps me calm. :laugh:

if any of that actually paid I'd probably do it over this. At least you'd deal with stupid people that you expect to be stupid, not so-called professionals.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DCurry

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:06:55 PMAgain, I think these tools are more for people that have no clue how to do it manually. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, we all have our own technique, but why would you ever trust a machine to do a job you specialize in? To put any credence into automation is signing your own vocational death warrant in printing.

I don't look at it as letting the machine do my job. I use it as a tool that lets me know what needs a closer look or what could cause problems. I am not suggesting that it is a substitute for human analysis; merely a starting point.

As for slowing down the the application, it can do that so I turn it off after I've gleaned the necessary info from it.

I would estimate that 85-90% of the files I receive are perfect, but I guess that's the benefit of having a well-trained inhouse design department. Actually it makes things kinda boring.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have to check everything anyway. I don't have a clue what to expect 99% of the time, so I make the rounds. Preflighting anything, for me, would be suicide.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 08:04:29 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 04:06:55 PMAgain, I think these tools are more for people that have no clue how to do it manually. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, we all have our own technique, but why would you ever trust a machine to do a job you specialize in? To put any credence into automation is signing your own vocational death warrant in printing.

I don't look at it as letting the machine do my job. I use it as a tool that lets me know what needs a closer look or what could cause problems. I am not suggesting that it is a substitute for human analysis; merely a starting point.

As for slowing down the the application, it can do that so I turn it off after I've gleaned the necessary info from it.

I would estimate that 85-90% of the files I receive are perfect, but I guess that's the benefit of having a well-trained inhouse design department. Actually it makes things kinda boring.
I would love some boring once in awhile :laugh:

DCurry

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2011, 08:46:33 PMDo you receive outside jobs from agencies, etc.?

A very small amount - the remaining 10-15% of my overall workload. We have one monthly newsletter (our largest job by far - approx. 1 million qty.) that comes from an agency, and even that is built pretty well because we have educated them from the onset about what to do and not do.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!