July 24, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Author Topic: Retrospect revisited  (Read 8614 times)

Offline DigitalCrapShoveler

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
  • Let me know if you're a size 14
Re: Retrospect revisited
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
We live in totally different worlds F-Bomb. :laugh:
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS  

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
My favorite is the when people keep all their backups sitting in a cardboard box in the server room. Better pray you never have a fire or a flood.

This place did until about a month ago. I had been after them for a year and a half to get a safe or take backups offsite. One fire and there goes prepress!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Ninja Master
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »

Trust me man, I know it. I'm only going in what my experiences are.

So, now proof that Oklahoma is a different world.  :laugh:
Fbomb, Just another uncool B4 member. One of the Glorious Assholes of prepress.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

what's a bonus?

Most places it is pronounced "bone-us".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »

Trust me man, I know it. I'm only going in what my experiences are.

So, now proof that Oklahoma is a different world.  :laugh:

I know, brother, I know. I believe we have had this conversation before, no? :laugh:
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS  

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Ninja Master
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
Yup, and probably won't be the last time either.
Fbomb, Just another uncool B4 member. One of the Glorious Assholes of prepress.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

what's a bonus?

Most places it is pronounced "bone-us".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
In all my years I've had many optical disks go bad. Mishandle them and scratch the top surface and it's toast, scratch the bottom and maybe you can polish it back onto working. They are made cheaply and I've seen them delaminate in a climate controlled room. Keep a HDD in a not well ventilated enclosure or even case and watch it die. Turn it on only when needed and keep it cool and happy and it will live a long life. Drop it while it's off and it will probably survive. Hell, get a HDD dock and use internal drives and swap the out when full. Better option than external drives becasue you won't forget to shut it off. Pull the drive and park it on a shelf.

Iirc Zip and Jazz were magnetic, not optical.

Ditto1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Optical disk reliability is just slightly better then floppies.

Hi DCS. :hello:
Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

“Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience.” ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
In all my years I've had many optical disks go bad. Mishandle them and scratch the top surface and it's toast, scratch the bottom and maybe you can polish it back onto working. They are made cheaply and I've seen them delaminate in a climate controlled room. Keep a HDD in a not well ventilated enclosure or even case and watch it die. Turn it on only when needed and keep it cool and happy and it will live a long life. Drop it while it's off and it will probably survive. Hell, get a HDD dock and use internal drives and swap the out when full. Better option than external drives becasue you won't forget to shut it off. Pull the drive and park it on a shelf.

Hey Joe. :hello: Where you goin' with that gun of your hand?

Oh yeah, and YOU'RE WRONG! :laugh: You can say whatever you want with your clicking HDs that you have to triple back-up for redundancy. JUST IN CASE. :tongue:

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »

Hey Joe. :hello: Where you goin' with that gun of your hand?

Oh yeah, and YOU'RE WRONG! :laugh: You can say whatever you want with your clicking HDs that you have to triple back-up for redundancy. JUST IN CASE. :tongue:

Oklahomo!

:lmao:
Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

“Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience.” ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
Huh hey hoe, I heard you shot your mamma down.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
She believed optical disks are more reliable than hard drives. :tongue:

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »
Good ole Grammy. She liked me better then Claude.

Too bad the machine that kept her alive after you violently gunned her down started clicking.

Offline Slappy

• Ninja Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
My favorite is the when people keep all their backups sitting in a cardboard box in the server room. Better pray you never have a fire or a flood.

Greg
I just realized something. We have a "fire-proofed" server room - special doors, walls, etc. None of our back-ups are stored in there, but what really concerns me is that I just noticed last week that it has that crappy tiled drop-ceiling & there's some kind of leak that developed above it & some of the tiles are discolored & sagging. If it's supposed to be an environmentally sealed room, a fire in the shop nearby could easily travel across the roof, set fire to that room's ceiling or collapse it, etc.

Some times the sheer ignorance in this place leaves me stunned.
A little diddie ‘bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin’ the best they can.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
To be honest, if my work place burns down I could give a crap if I have backups or not.

• Son of Joe
  • Supreme Ninja
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
To be honest, if my work place burns down I could give a crap if I have backups or not.

Amen Brother.

Offline DigiCorn

• 私は〜です
  • Supreme Ninja
  • There is no Dana, only Zul!
    • Sig-1 Graphics
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
If it was a 2TB SSD I'd probably feel safe with archiving permanently to that... but for long term, I still like going cheaper with blu-ray and burning redundant copies. In reality, they only have to last me a few years before the art gets updated and/or replaced and becomes obsolete. I rarely pull a job from more than 5 years ago.
Canon ImagePress C6000VP • Canon ImageRunner 110 • Epson Stylus Pro 7880 • Komori Lithrone 26 6-color • Screen PlateRite 4100 • Xerox 4110

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” -Humphrey Bogart