July 28, 2014, 01:15:10 AM

Author Topic: Web Hosting  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
Web Hosting
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Time for hosting renewal. Might switch away from Hostgator as it seems they are now overpriced over the competition and after researching it I found 3 hosting companies that are cheaper and rated higher (not by an official source).

FastDomain

HostMonster

BlueHost

They are all priced the same - $2.41 per month cheaper than Hostgator for the same product.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these?
Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

“Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience.” ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
Re: Web Hosting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
Nope.

Good luck.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Offline david

• Avast! Where's me
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • arrrrrrrggg....
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
there's always godaddy...
Premedia Supervisor / Systems Manager
Mac -  OS X10.8.5   3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • PC - Windows 7
Esko-Artworks Suite 7 R6 • Prinergy V5.3.01 with Preps 6
HP 5000 • Epson 9900 • Epson 7900 • Kodak Approval XP • Lotem 800 Platesetters • Kodak FlexCel • Xerox 700

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Ninja Master
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »
Think I have 2 years left on gator so I won't be looking soon. Good to hear others experiences though.

I think Delooch has used HostMonster.

FUCK GoDaddy and their SOPA loving ass.
Fbomb, Just another uncool B4 member. One of the Glorious Assholes of prepress.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

what's a bonus?

Most places it is pronounced "bone-us".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:31 AM »
Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

“Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience.” ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

Offline david

• Avast! Where's me
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme Ninja
  • arrrrrrrggg....
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
I though you would get a kick outa that...     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Premedia Supervisor / Systems Manager
Mac -  OS X10.8.5   3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • PC - Windows 7
Esko-Artworks Suite 7 R6 • Prinergy V5.3.01 with Preps 6
HP 5000 • Epson 9900 • Epson 7900 • Kodak Approval XP • Lotem 800 Platesetters • Kodak FlexCel • Xerox 700

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:48:19 AM »
Think I have 2 years left on gator so I won't be looking soon. Good to hear others experiences though.

I think Delooch has used HostMonster.

FUCK GoDaddy and their SOPA loving ass.

Don't get me wrong....I have not had any problems with Hostgator. It's just that my hosting package is expiring so I went and did some price comparisons. I can get the same thing for cheaper prices at those other places. I've been happy with Hostgator as far as reliability and performance and I'm a little concerned about switching to another company.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »
I though you would get a kick outa that...     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oddly, GoDaddy did not make the list of the review of the top Hosting providers I was looking at. :huh:

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
Oh man...my head is spinning. You can find horror stories out there about all of the popular shared hosting providers including Hostgator. At least with Hostgator I know what I have. I think I'll be staying put even if it is a couple of dollars a month more than other providers. The one thing I found is a lot of the shared hosting companies are owned by the same individual. Like in my first posts links, the same guy owns BlueHost and several others. If you are a good and reliable provider why would you need to do that?

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Ninja Master
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »
Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Take a 7 out of your post count and it's the year I was born (1976)

what's a bonus?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:12:44 AM »
What are you paying, Joe? I pay around $60/yr for my site and don't want to change because of good service. All my sites are hosted through a reseller.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »
What are you paying, Joe? I pay around $60/yr for my site and don't want to change because of good service. All my sites are hosted through a reseller.

I was paying $47.52 per year to host one domain but I needed to have more than one domain so I upgraded from the Hatchling plan to the Baby plan that allows me to host multiple domains and I'm now paying $76.32 per year. The three I linked in the first post charge right at the same amount for multiple domains that Hostgator is charging for hosting one domain. Not really worth the savings to chance getting piss poor performance or lousy support. Like I said, I know what I've got with HG.

Offline Farabomb

• When did I become a
  • Ninja Master
  • Remember your towel
    • My other job
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
Hope he got a discount on his hosting.

what's a bonus?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline gnubler

• Ninja Warlord
  • Amerkin
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
If that's real that guy is a waste of space.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
Dumb-ASS Deluxe.