by Made in Taiwan
September 26, 2014, 10:49:53 PM

xx
Preps 5.3 - Create Imposition
by Joe
September 26, 2014, 04:31:31 PM

xx

User Info

Welcome to B4Print.com. Please login or register.

Top Poster

gnubler gnubler
28,252 Posts
Joe Joe
27,674 Posts
DigitalCrapShoveler DigitalCrapShoveler
21,696 Posts
david david
12,878 Posts
Ear Ear
12,270 Posts

Forum Staff

Admin Admin
Administrator
Joe Joe
Administrator
david david
Global Moderator
frailer frailer
Global Moderator

Poll

Using DropBox site for file send/receive?

• Often
    5 (33.3%)
  • Occasionally
    9 (60%)
  • Never
    1 (6.7%)
  • What's DropBox?
    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 07, 2012, 07:21:15 PM

Topic: Who uses DropBox website/file sharing? (Read 2388 times) previous topic - next topic

• frailer
  • Global Moderator
  • S W Pacific Night Mod..and..loving it! Sydney, Australia
Who uses DropBox website/file sharing?
Am getting to use it again. HeadOffice harbour a resistance to it cos you gotta 'sign up'... horror of horrors. OK, they have FTP, but YouSendIt seems to be the love of their life. For 1 thing, 100MB file size limit. DB's is 300MB.
Curious as to whether others here use it much.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Alexander Bell invented the telephone he had three missed calls from Chuck Norris

• Joe
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Re: Who uses DropBox website/file sharing?
Reply #1
Almost never. Just when you send me something. :laugh:
Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

"Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience." ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

• frailer
  • Global Moderator
Reply #2

:laugh:

.......thing is, once you're signed up, a 1 minute procedure, receiving files from other DB users leaves YouSendIt in the dust. Apart from them doing some self-promo, and tempting you to upgrade, no pesky ads like SendSpace and YSI. Just sayin'
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
When Alexander Bell invented the telephone he had three missed calls from Chuck Norris

• Slappy
Reply #3
I use it tons for personal file syncing, sharing. And if I could loosen the purse strings of the stupid Mgmt, I'd move all of our clients over to it instead of FTP, that shit is antiquated & cumbersome.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

• Joe
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #4

:laugh:

.......thing is, once you're signed up, a 1 minute procedure, receiving files from other DB users leaves YouSendIt in the dust. Apart from them doing some self-promo, and tempting you to upgrade, no pesky ads like SendSpace and YSI. Just sayin'

I'll admit it does work like a champ. I just don't send much stuff out and all of our customers upload their stuff through Kodak Insite.
Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks | Prinergy 6.0.4 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

"Simply put it is possible to have convenience if you want to tolerate insecurity, but if you want security, you must be prepared for inconvenience." ~ General Benjamin W. Chidlaw December 12, 1954

• david
  • Global Moderator
  • Avast! Ye scurvy dog!
Reply #5
I only use it when someone can't understand how to log onto my FTP site (which is a clikable web link with a username/password), it's REALLY hard...

dumbasses
Premedia Supervisor / Systems Manager
Mac -  OS X10.8.5   3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • PC - Windows 7
Esko-Artworks Suite 7 R6 • Prinergy V5.3.01 with Preps 6
HP 5000 • Epson 9900 • Epson 7900 • Kodak Approval XP • Lotem 800 Platesetters • Kodak FlexCel • Xerox 700

• Farabomb
  • Remember your towel
Reply #6
I use it only for personal stuff. I meet the same resistance at work becasue of the sign-in. Customers too dense to understand FTP want everything done for them. Clicky linky, get file and maybe pick up a trojan from a crappy ad. Viruses are not their problem, it's IT's job.
Fbomb, Just another uncool B4 member. One of the Glorious Assholes of prepress.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

what's a bonus?

Most places it is pronounced "bone-us".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

--Benjamin Franklin

My other job

• StudioMonkey
  • Mostly Harmless
Reply #7
I use it all the time and I much prefer it to YouSendIt.  Its painless to register and use. 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

• Farabomb
  • Remember your towel
Reply #8

I use it all the time and I much prefer it to YouSendIt.  Its painless to register and use. 

Explaining this to my brain dead customers is the painful part.

what's a bonus?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

--Benjamin Franklin

My other job

• born2print
Reply #9
I was surprised to see anyone positive about Dropbox, maybe my experiences are tainted by the particular folks that make us use theirs? To me it is a PITA compared to FTP, Yousendit, MassTransit...
:shrug:

I'm not too current on the internet and pretty much avoid it unless posting on b4p or buying tampons & knives on Amazon.
Prinergy 5.1.2.1.4
w/ Epson 9900s and Trendsetter/Spectrums
Quad 2.8 GHz Intel Macs running 10.6.8 or later
UpFront & InSite

• born2print
Reply #10
For one thing, they forget to tell us the correct logon criteria and we search the "usual" (wrong) site instead of the "secret" one for files.  :shoots_self:

I'm not too current on the internet and pretty much avoid it unless posting on b4p or buying tampons & knives on Amazon.
Prinergy 5.1.2.1.4
w/ Epson 9900s and Trendsetter/Spectrums
Quad 2.8 GHz Intel Macs running 10.6.8 or later
UpFront & InSite

• Farabomb
  • Remember your towel
Reply #11
I'm with you. FTP is easy for me, hell I used to connect through command line back in the day.

I'd rather FTP info with the exact syntax of the files I need or maybe something simple like a zip file if there are multiple folders but that's not possible with most designers. It's normally 3-4 emails to get all the login info. Then it's on to the scavenger hunt once you get access.

what's a bonus?

--Benjamin Franklin

My other job

• Ear
  • a merkin
Reply #12
I think FTP is easy peasy but just recently, using dropbox quite often. A lot of clients prefer using it. Used to love Sendspace but it has turned into a turd in the last year.
my grandmother did her raccoons that way...
If someone doesn't snag this as a signature, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

• frailer
  • Global Moderator
Reply #13

For one thing, they forget to tell us the correct logon criteria and we search the "usual" (wrong) site instead of the "secret" one for files.  :shoots_self:

Oh, you guys too. Just went through that yesterday. Finally they ditched the unworkable link, and out the proper one up. 'sokay, got nothing better to do.   :banghead:

• Slappy
Reply #14

I think the problem is people treat it like it's an FTP, and it's not. Shared Folders, the only way to fly, I'm too lazy to find the thread on how to set them up, but it's around here some place & it's butt simple. You should never have to use another person's login, or go looking for files if it's done right.

Client copies/moves file archive to a folder that's Shared with you in their Dropbox locally, and then it just appears in yours. Boom.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.