Extracting pics from MS Word

Started by Designia(o_O), July 18, 2014, 10:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Designia(o_O)

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow extract pictures from an MS Word doc? I had a brochure sent to me with around 20 pics embedded. It looks like I'm going to have to cut and paste them all into PS and I'm not looking forward to it. I've never received this many pictures in an MSWord doc before. thanks!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Upload the file, let me take a crack at it. I'm pretty sure there's a way, I just haven't had to do it in a while.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

make a pdf, and then use the extract images feature of acrobat
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 18, 2014, 10:49:03 AMmake a pdf, and then use the extract images feature of acrobat

You can do that, but I think you can get them out of Word. I would be interested to know if the images extracted from Word are the original resolution, and not the 96 DPI Word likes to associate with placed images.
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

If all else fails, zoom way in on each image and screen dump them Cmnd-Shft-4
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 18, 2014, 11:05:30 AMhttp://cnedelcu.blogspot.com/2013/02/top-3-ways-to-extract-images-from-word-docx-doc-document.html
Quote1. Renaming the .docx to .zip, opening the zip file and extracting the images (Best way!)

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/extracting-images-from-a-word-document-very-easy/

from the horse's mouth: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555171

Haven't tried any of these, so good luck!

Worked like a charm, thanks very much!! I've use this trick on Pages documents before. The pics all seemed to extract at the original dpi, not as thumbnails. Yay! :banana: :banana: :banana:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

I didn't know the changing to a .zip trick
just the save as web page and makes a folder with images
I will be trying the .zip tho, sounds better

Designia(o_O)

Tracy, I like the web page way better, it's easier to find the folder with the pics. I never heard of that way either.

Possum

In my experience, just about anything beats asking the customer for the original files. I have yet to come across a Word user who knows where he got the graphics that he stuck in his Word file.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on July 21, 2014, 03:25:10 PMIn my experience, just about anything beats asking the customer for the original files. I have yet to come across a Word user who knows where he got the graphics that he stuck in his Word file.

I have a feeling if you export to HTML it will probably down sample the images to 72 dpi...which Word may do anyway when you place one. Not sure on that.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

StudioMonkey

I didn't know about the Save As Web Page trick (seems to work OK), but here's what I have been doing:

Copy and Paste the Pic from Word into PhotoShop - this often gets you a downsampled (low res) image, so enlarge the pic in Word first.  Keep enlarging it as far as it will go.  Make the Word Page Size bigger if necessary.  That will ensure that you get the highest res pic available.

EDIT:
I just tried the Save As Web Page method and you get a pic the same size as it is in the document.  Enlarging the pic in Word before copy/paste into PhotoShop gets you a higher res pic.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: Joe on July 21, 2014, 03:37:00 PM
Quote from: Possum on July 21, 2014, 03:25:10 PMIn my experience, just about anything beats asking the customer for the original files. I have yet to come across a Word user who knows where he got the graphics that he stuck in his Word file.

I have a feeling if you export to HTML it will probably down sample the images to 72 dpi...which Word may do anyway when you place one. Not sure on that.

I tested both ways and the pics were the same resolution with the web page & the .zip trick. Of course they sent me crap but I'm pretty sure it's all the original dpis on the pics. Some are 72, some 300, some 2" wide, some 15". Sounds about right.

Studio Monkey- that was what I was trying to save myself from doing. It was a 20 page doc with multiple pics. Thanks!

mattbeals

you can set the picture properties so that the scale is 100%, then copy it, paste it into Photoshop or MS Paint, save.

You can also copy and paste it using PitStop, or you can extract all pictures from the PDF.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.