News:

Main Menu

DropBox alternatives

Started by frailer, August 29, 2014, 11:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Revisiting this, as I've done my dash with DB. I hadn't been using it much, and logged in there after a few months elapsed; only to find I had 'exceeded limit' on storage on the 'Free' A/C. Must have been hacked, but couldn't even log in to find out because I 'owed' them $109.. (I hear Joseph Heller quietly turning in his grave). I sent them a GOM Contact email telling them to delete my files ( I use smugmug, subscription, for important images), and bye bye...    :kissass:

Any suggestions for alternatives? I would be a Lite® user, if anything.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Box (10 gb FREE)

Google Drive (15 gb FREE)

Microsoft OneDrive (15 gb FREE)

Amazon Cloud Drive (5 gb FREE)

MediaFire (10 gb FREE)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks for the list; these can keep changing, hence the question.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

MediaFire looking good, though the app runs on 10.7 up; so shall have to use via the browser.. no biggie.

Ear

Or take one of those otherwise obsolete G5s and turn it into an FTP server. That's what I did. I use dropbox too but the FTP is nice to have around.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Quote from: Ear on September 02, 2014, 12:47:19 PMOr take one of those otherwise obsolete G5s and turn it into an FTP server. That's what I did. I use dropbox too but the FTP is nice to have around.
I just got an email about updating Rumpus... I was worried about the OS, but we do have a spare G5 I could use. Thanks for the idea!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

FTP if fine is you are somewhat computer literate. For customers it's a totally different story. If it's not giftwrapped with a bow and you walk them to it and hand deliver it they are lost.

I sent a dropbox direct link to a customer. 2 days later I get an email saying they can't open it. I proceed to click on the link on my Mac, the PC and even my android. Everything opens up just fine. I tell the boss this, he clicks on the link on his CCed email and it opens. He send email saying everything is fine here, just click on the link. Suddenly it works on his end. Want to make a bet he never clicked it?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

This is true. Your run-of-the-mill shithead won't be able to connect to FTP. Still, close to half of my clients are sharp enough and I get a TON of use out of my FTP. Newer, easy interfaces, such as FireFTP make it a lot easier.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I can still bang out the DOS commands and connect to a FTP.

Makes me feel like I'm "hacking".
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Oh yeah? You gonna hack the Gibson, mannnnn????

:lmao:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.