Lap V to chem free plates

Started by dledbetter, March 05, 2009, 04:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dledbetter

I took a look through the forum but did not see too much on this topic, what I did see was from 2007.

We are moving to a new plate system in 6 mo or so, our lease will be up and we want to go chem free, I don't know if we will stay with agfa so we are looking at the fuji process on the press plate. Anybody using ecomaxx plates from fuji?, do you like them or hate them? or is there a better alternative to the process on the press plate that I should be looking into. I am a little sketchy on the whole clean the emulsion with the press thing.

Thanks for any help on this.

-Dan

frailer

We are on Fuji LP-NV2A violets, currently, but would go to their chem-free when the time comes...pretty sure. I think all the chem-free systems have a little additional "something" in the gum mix. But it's nothing like the current process chemistry, obviously.

Sorry, late-adopters here, but will be watching replies... :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

i use agfa azura - as does santa on here - no real issues, only 10 tubs (not even full ones) of waste gum solution to dispose of in just under a year.

plates - in good conditions run upwards of 150k impressions.

poor with metallics and harsh substrates

important things compared to processless: clean plate for the press - a massive help. not cheapest plate around, but better speed with new second generation plate and good availability.

downsides: none really - could possibly be a little harder wearing
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

dledbetter

I looked at the azura plates and I think they would be a good fit for our needs. I don't mind having to clean a gum tank as I have been cleaning an LP82 for over 5yrs now (it's 8yrs old) and this processor is just a bear to keep clean anymore rollers are worn out etc... and parts are not cheep.

I would like to stay with agfa but the relationship between my boss and them is strained at best.

We only have had Fuji in our shop talking to us about plates so far, so any input on chem free plates from any manufacture would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dan

frailer

Quote from: dledbetter on March 06, 2009, 02:40:33 PMso any input on chem free plates from any manufacture would be appreciated.
Thanks,

-Dan

Have to talk to our Fuji plate/chem guy Monday, about an over repenishment adjustment. Shall ask him if anyone in Sydney using them.
I could maybe make a friendly enquiry if they were up to it. I wouldn't mind knowing anyway.
He's a pretty straight guy, so his direct info would mention any negatives that are yet to be ironed out.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

dledbetter

Thanks frailer, I appreciate it.

-Dan

Santa

I've ran Azura 1 for about three years and have been on "son of Azura"  or Azura TS since mid summer.  Like Beer says, rock solid, no issues, and the gum unit clean is filling up a jug of warm water, hitting a button and go do something else for 15 minutes.  I'd start being Switzerland between your boss and Agfa.

jimking

I know this is an old thread. A couple of months ago we started using Azura plates. Not used them that much until now. I've tried to keep the gummer running through those empty months  but now I think it needs cleaning and changing. The plates are coming out with streaks and such causing me to run the plate through twice, still with residue present. The orange-red light is on constantly. Is it safe to dump the old gum down the drain so I can use the empty container for water? Why is that orange light on constantly and will cleaning cycle get rid of it? I am aware of the button functions such press once for one function press twice for another etc.

DCurry

jimking, Agfa recommends that you do a "major cleaning" of the processor every 12 weeks, or every 3 times you change the gum. They also recommend you fill a jug with warm water for the cleaning cycle every time you change gum.

We just dump the old gum right down the drain - it is pretty tame stuff according to the literature. If it is going to be a long weekend, I will also swap out the gum jug for warm water, then just put the gum jug back on after the long weekend.

Did Agfa provide you with the user manual/startup kit for the processor? If not, I can give you a PDF of it which outlines how to clean it. I don't see anything in there about an orange light, though. PM me if you want it.

To the original poster, we have been using AzuraTS since January and are very pleased with it. It is very nice to be able to see the image on the plate before sending it out to the pressroom, and the processor maintenance/cleaning is very easy and quick.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

jimking

Quote from: DCurry on September 01, 2010, 10:51:00 AMjimking, Agfa recommends that you do a "major cleaning" of the processor every 12 weeks, or every 3 times you change the gum. They also recommend you fill a jug with warm water for the cleaning cycle every time you change gum.

We just dump the old gum right down the drain - it is pretty tame stuff according to the literature. If it is going to be a long weekend, I will also swap out the gum jug for warm water, then just put the gum jug back on after the long weekend.

Did Agfa provide you with the user manual/startup kit for the processor? If not, I can give you a PDF of it which outlines how to clean it. I don't see anything in there about an orange light, though. PM me if you want it.

To the original poster, we have been using AzuraTS since January and are very pleased with it. It is very nice to be able to see the image on the plate before sending it out to the pressroom, and the processor maintenance/cleaning is very easy and quick.
Thanks Dan, sure I'll have a look at that pdf. The light is on the left fender along with the green light. Do you let the gummer run 24-7, for that matter the imagesetter too? How long does the gum last as far as integrity?

DCurry

Maybe you have a slightly different model - mine does not have an orange light anywhere.

I do leave the gummer on 24-7. If it sits idle for a period of time, it will cycle the gum every 30minutes or so. This keeps things from drying up inside, so if you turn it off it won't cycle itself. The Agfa tech who installed it for me said just leave it on. When I put a jug of water on it for long weekends, it cycles the water instead of the gum and helps keep things clean (this was also recommended at install.) I do shut down the imagesetter every night - not much point in leaving it on.

I can make a jug of gum last anywhere from 4-6 weeks, depending on how many plates I run. If it is a busy month it won't last as long. By the time it gets near the bottom 1/4 of the jug, it is pretty blue and scummy and sometimes leaves residue on the first plate of the day (just run it back through to clean it off.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!